4 low and 4 high dash lites blinking every few mins when driving down the road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 low and 4 high dash lites blinking every few mins when driving down the road

pinto21632

Reaction score
City, State
redbud,illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer
i have a 98 ford explorer the 4 low and 4 high lite keeps blinking every few mins while driving when i try to put it in to 4 low and 4 high it does nothing no click or clunk no sound at all when i turn the switch to 4 low and 4 high if i unhook the battery the lite will not blink for a month or more then it will start blinking again but will not go in to 4 wheel drive and that is the only thing that is blinking i have checked the fluid level and the wire harness under by the transfer case i don't have the money to get it checked by a dealer right now i wanted to try to fix it my self please help i have look in other post but did not find my answer

ok i have a little update 2 days ago i was trying to clean the mass air flow i unhooked the battery reset the codes in the computer i was messing with the 4x4 i put it in 4 high back out it worked but when i put it in 4 low the lights started blinking went to run to the store and it sounded like it was stuck in 4 wheel drive so i unhooked the battery for about 2 hours and it ran fine after that im thinking it might be the switch not sure

Same problem

I too just encountered the same problem except my 99 explorer sport wont go into any 4 wheel modes when i turn the switch. I google it and there was another forum site and those guys were saying that it could be a HALL sensor or a bad Shift Motor. I dont want to go messing around with it so i might just let it go since i hardly use the 4wd anyway.

Back