4 wheel abs codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel abs codes

R

rookie,94XLT

hi guys

counted the flash out codes on my 1994 explorer 4x4 today i got 18, 23, 36, 56 anyone out there know what these mean the abs light comes on when you driving and the abs doesnt work then sometimes ots off for a while and it works perfectly

any ideas?? thanks charl

18 - Nothing. You sure you counted this one right?

23 - Front Left Outlet Valve.

Code 23 is generated by the ECU's detection of an open or shorted Circuit 496 and by an open or shorted outlet front left (OFL) valve coil or an open or shorted driver in the ECU.

POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTING COMPONENT/VEHICLE WIRING CONCERNS
Intermittent open Circuit 496 (O)
Terminal backout in ECU connector Pins 17 and 26
Terminal backout in valve block connector Pins 1, 4, and 7
Open or shorted outlet front left (OFL) valve coil
Open or shorted driver in ECU

36 - Front Right Sensor, Erratic Output.

Codes 36, 42, 56, and 76 are generated by the ECU's detection of a missing, erratic, or otherwise improper wheel speed signal from the right front wheel speed sensor. The codes are set for specific faults at various vehicle speeds that are as follows:
Code 36: ECU detects that the front right wheel speed information is erratic. This code is only set at vehicle speeds greater than 25 mph.
Code 42: ECU detects that the front right wheel speed information does not match the left front and rear axle wheel speed information. This code is only set at vehicle speeds greater than 12 mph.
Code 56: ECU detects that the front right wheel speed signal has dropped out when it was previously there. This code is not dependent upon vehicle speed.
Code 76: ECU detects that the front right wheel speed information is erratic. This code is only set at vehicle speeds greater than 12 mph and less than 25 mph. NOTE: In most cases, Code 76 will be accompanied by Code 36.
Codes 36, 42, 56 or 76 can not be set with the vehicle stationary. The vehicle should be driven when attempting to duplicate the concern. If Codes 36, 42 or 56 are set, then the ABS warning lamp will come on and will remain on until the vehicle is shut off. If only Code 76 is set, the ABS warning lamp will come on. However, if the condition is corrected, the ABS warning lamp will be turned off by the ECU and the system will again be operational.

POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTING COMPONENT/VEHICLE WIRING CONCERNS
Damaged/missing tone ring teeth or missing tone ring
Air gap too small or too large
Excessive axle vibration
Weak sensor
Loose sensor
Intermittent short or open in Circuit 141 (Y/R) or 516 (Y/BK)
Disturbances caused by ignition or Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)
Defective trigger circuit in ECU

56 - Front Right Sensor, Output Dropped.

The description for 36 also contains the description for 56.

Thank you so much for your reply, it put me in the right direction i really appreciate you taking the time to type out such a detailed explanation i would really like to sort this out light has been on since i got the truck about 3 years ago

charl

Copy & paste. :)

You're welcome.

Back