44 knuckles on newer model 35's

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Just the other day I was reading the latest issue of four wheeler magazine and came acrossed an article about buying budget project trucks. One of the models they talked about was the ranger 93-97 model.

What caught my eye about the article was that the magazine suggested that you try to use the later/newer models to get the 4.0 and the Dana 35 front end which uses the 44 style outters. Is this correct? Do the later style 35's use 44 style outters?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...What month and what article was it???...I would like to read it...:scratch:

Any year D35 has quite a bit in common with D44s, but the outers are somewhat differrent (most notably, the brakes are smaller, although '95-'97s have twin-piston calipers). Actual D44 knuckles and brakes can be swapped onto any year D35 (TTB) however.

Edit see link in above post

The article is in the September 09 issue. The article is titled the best used buys in used 4x4s.

I read the same thing--44 STYLE outers-- not exactly 44 outers, but pretty close.

There really isn't much to gain from 44 outers except a wider-set wheel bearing. The conversion is a bit of a trial and requires some machine shop work.

The 35 TTB outer is similar to the 44 in size and strength and even shares the 44-size spindle nuts.

Back