4R70W Interchange Question

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So I’m curious a bit about a freebie I got. I got a free 4R70W out of a 03 Mustang with the 4.6.

I’m curious if it’s a direct swap unit for a 96 or a 2000 V8 Explorer, since I have both a 2WD 96 and a 2WD 2000 5.0.

If not, what does one need to do to make it swap in? It looks pretty close to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, wrong bellhousing pattern. Explorer is small block Ford, Mustang is modular. Unless you can fab yourself, an adapter would be a waste of money.

I was always told the 4R70s were the same pattern across the board. Learn something every day I suppose.

At least if nothing else I have a good modular motor transmission.

Double post but since it’s probably relevant, the numbers off the transmission are PKE-BD2, 1R3P-7000-BA, 063482. It came up on Google as a mod motor trans, the guy didn’t know squat about it other than the car was rolled it was in and his buddy gave it to him.

The transmission from a 4.6 or 5.4 will not work because they have a different bellhousing. The 5.0, 3.8 and 4.2 share the same bellhousing pattern though. The 1996 is an AODE won’t work.
Brad

Okay that makes sense. Looks like me and the guy I got it from both benefitted this go round. He’s on his way to find himself an appropriate trans now. Ah well, it’ll be on the shelf should I need it or the guts out of it. I’d imagine the internals would transfer into an SBF bolt pattern case without too much headache

The 96 is a 4R70W, there’s some electrical differences though so if you used a newer trans you’d need to reuse the old valve body or do the electrical work to wire it in.

do the electrical work, I routinely install 98-01 4r70w's into the 96-97 trucks. The 98 internal wiring and solenoids are a nice upgrade to the older trucks. Moving the wires around can be done in the truck upside down on a creeper, basically the solenoid wires will move positions and in 96 there were 3 power wires (12V+) going into the trans case, in 98-01 they reduced that down to 1, the result is two left over wires you just cut and wrap them up and out of the way.

SO>>> the 4r70w in my 2001 Mounty with 5.0 has different Bolt pattern ____?

Then yes.

easy to tell
5.0 4r70w = 2 bolt starter
4.6 4r70w = 3 bolt starter

Back