• Register Today It's free!

4r70w years ...

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Will a 2000 ford explorer rwd transmission work inside of a 1999 Eddie Bauer rwd?

Also does anyone have a video or write up of the trans replacement on the 5.0 v8s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes as long as they are both 5.0L this will work
98-01 4r70w is the same

You need instructions on how to drop the trans and install new?

Yes I've never done it before. Most everything else I'm able to find a video on but not this.

remove - battery cable
remove trans pan and drain the transmission
replace pan with 4 bolts, 1 per corner, once it is done dripping
remove rear driveshaft (4 12mm 12 point bolts at rear axle)
remove transmission mount and transmission crossmember (18mm, 17mm 15mm and 13mm)
Support back of transmission with a jack so you can remove the crossmember
Once crossmember, trans mount and exhaust support is out of the way lower the back of trans and let it "hang"
Now time to start on the exhaust down pipe bolts
This is the tricky part as you do not want to break these bolts or you will be left with a broken stud in exhaust manifold. A torch maybe required to get them loose without breaking
Remove exhaust down pipes
Remove starter
Unhook trans wiring and cooler lines (16mm)
Remove bottom cover of torque converter
Remove torque converter to flywheel nuts. There are 4 of these, 14mm> I use a 1/4" drive ratchet and 14mm socket. You will need to put a 15/16" / 21mm socket on the crankshaft pulley and turn the engine over to access the converter nuts 1-2 at a time.
Remove bellhousing bolts and dipstick retainer bolt
support trans before you pull the last bellhousing bolt, I use a trans jack
Pull trans rearward and remove with torque converter

That is the short version
With the RWD it makes things easier, however sometimes on a V8 I will remove the seats and center console to gain access to top of the trans. This gives clear access to the 3 oxygen sensor wiring plugs

Let me know if any questions if you can handle this then we can work on installing the new unit, new filter, and flushing the cooling system
You will need 10-12 quarts of Mercon V
1 new trans filter, WIX or motorcrafy
A can of Lube Guards KOOLERKLEEN to blow out the trans cooler and lines

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-190...&keywords=lubeguard+transmission+line+cleaner

You do not want to contaminate your new trans with any gunk left in the cooling system and lines, especially when the old trans went south.
Kooler clean is awesome you will be amazed at the black gunk stuck in your radiator and trans cooling system.
while trans is out of vehicle, use the can of cleaner hook it up to the top cooler line and be ready to collect what comes out of the bottom hose. I use a piece of hose into a container
read directions on can

Thank you so much! So I actually bought the unit ahead of time because I got it for a steal. I have to get a transmission jack and then I will be attempting to do it.

Back