4th Gen Explorer 4.0 or 4.6? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Explorer 4.0 or 4.6?

I really appreciate everything you wrote, and it confirmed my own beliefs about the V6s vs. the V8s and their transmissions.

I have two follow up questions, for you and anyone else:

1. Do people think the 2003-2008 V8s are still worth considering? It sounds like there might be some improvements in the 2009-10 models and I definitely prefer the 2006 changes, but that narrows the options.

2. Is the 2nd Gen with the 5.0 worth considering, from a reliability perspective? A completely different vehicle I know, but sometimes those old, simple vehicles have proven to be robust and easy to fix.

Thank you again for all the info!
09-10 v8's are drop in F150 drivetrains of that year. It was the mid engine choice when the v6 went away. Also has 6R80 F150 grade transmission. I would say they are very reliable, and don't have the 3v timing problems. By this age though, it is an older truck and if the last owner abused it or just things weren't right, expensive issues can come up. There was a 10' for sale a while back at a dealer, had 120K, said new transmission installed, so there you go. Most of the ones I see have serious body rust (frames are ok).

There are likely going to be expensive repairs if you can't diy and source economical parts (e.g. Brake calipers, hoses for one). Not exactly an engine block but you get the idea. Then again, new SUVs cost a fortune. Safety wise a 10 explorer and a new one are probably similar in real world crashes. It is a very strong truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

09-10 v8's are drop in F150 drivetrains of that year. It was the mid engine choice when the v6 went away. Also has 6R80 F150 grade transmission. I would say they are very reliable, and don't have the 3v timing problems. By this age though, it is an older truck and if the last owner abused it or just things weren't right, expensive issues can come up. There was a 10' for sale a while back at a dealer, had 120K, said new transmission installed, so there you go. Most of the ones I see have serious body rust (frames are ok).
Was the 2010 for sale a V8 or a V6 model? If it was a V6 then it wouldn't shock me if it needed replaced. When buying an older used vehicle is is important to do proper vetting to hedge your bets against buying a worn out one. The OP lives in Minnesota and shouldn't be looking there for vehicles. The odds are they have excessive to severe rust damage and this is the worst thing to deal with because it can't be repaired. At least engines, transmissions, suspension parts etc. can be repaired. The OP should look for a vehicle that has spent its life outside the Rustbelt or thoroughly inspect the underside of the vehicle for excessive rust. Even then, the vehicle should be treated with an oil based rust preventative like Fluid Film every 1-2 years.
There are likely going to be expensive repairs if you can't diy and source economical parts (e.g. Brake calipers, hoses for one). Not exactly an engine block but you get the idea. Then again, new SUVs cost a fortune. Safety wise a 10 explorer and a new one are probably similar in real world crashes. It is a very strong truck.
I bought my 2010 with a little over 110k miles but is was rust free, the interior was pristine, all the vehicle functions worked etc. I knew it needed a radiator and new tires when I bought it. Other required repairs that showed up later have been an AC compressor, front sway bar end links, a lower ball joint, brake rotors, brake pads, valve cover gasket, VVT solenoid, spark plugs, and a Y heater hose. Preventive maintenance items have been complete fluid change (includes three drain and refills of the transmission) and strut assemblies all around. Some of this work I did myself and the rest was done by a local shop. I estimate I have spent around $4.5k-$5k on all the items listed. I do have a very well sorted vehicle that has the best capability to hopefully be mostly trouble free over the next 60k-80k miles (which should last me 8-10 years). I paid between $6k-$6.5k for it so I am at $11k-$12k all in. I could have spent much less if I wasn't so OCD about regular, and preventative, maintenance and done more of the labor myself. Then my all in cost would have been around $8k-$9k.

Buying older vehicles is always a gamble. What I have spent after the initial purchase would be just a handfull of monthly car payments on a new, or slightly used, mid sized SUV with the more popular options. Plus, in my area one has to pay personal property tax. My 2010 runs around $150 a year and a new $50k vehicle runs about $1,200 per year. I paid for most of my repairs and maintenance just from what I have saved in taxes over buying a new $50k vehicle.

Maybe someone could come up with a list of the year-by-year/generation changes, I'm still uncertain about engine/transmission combinations.

But it seems like:

2002-2005
4.0 V6 SOHC with 5r55e transmission
4.6 V8 2V with ? transmission

2006-2008
4.0 V6 SOHC with ? transmission
4.6 V8 3V with ? transmission

2009-2010
4.0 V6 SOHC ? transmission
4.6 V8 3V with 6R80

Hell, list the early models, too if you know!

Maybe someone could come up with a list of the year-by-year/generation changes, I'm still uncertain about engine/transmission combinations.

But it seems like:

2002-2005

2006-2008

2009-2010
4.6 V8 3V with 6R80

91-94
4.0 ohv v6 trans A4ld m5od-r1
95-96
4.0 ohv v6 trans 4r44e 4r55e m5odr-1
97-01
4.0l sohc ohv
Trans options m5odr-1 5r55e
5.0 v8 with 4r70
02-05
4.6 2v trans were the 5r55w also I think 02-03s v6s can have a manual m5od-r1hd
I believe 06-10 v6 got the 5r55s
06-08 4.6 3v have 6r60 I think this info is correct.

The 2009-2010 V8 got the 6R80 transmission

But it seems like:

2002-2005

2006-2008

2009-2010
4.6 V8 3V with 6R80

02-05 all engines 5r55w
06-8 v6- 5r55s v8 6r60
9-10 v6 5r55s v8 6r80

Was the 2010 for sale a V8 or a V6 model? If it was a V6 then it wouldn't shock me if it needed replaced. When buying an older used vehicle is is important to do proper vetting to hedge your bets against buying a worn out vehicle. The OP lives in Minnesota and shouldn't be looking there for vehicles. The odds are they have excessive to severe rust damage and this is the worst thing to deal with because it can't be repaired. At least engines, transmissions, suspension parts etc. can be repaired. The OP should look for a vehicle that has spent its life outside the Rustbelt or thoroughly inspect the underside of the vehicle for excessive rust. Even then, the vehicle should be treated with an oil based rust preventative like Fluid Film every 1-2 years.

I bought my 2010 with a little over 110k miles but is was rust free, the interior was pristine, all the vehicle functions worked etc. I knew it needed a radiator and new tires when I bought it. Other required repairs that showed up later have been an AC compressor, front sway bar end links, a lower ball joint, brake rotors, brake pads, valve cover gasket, VVT solenoid, spark plugs, and a Y heater hose. Preventive maintenance items have been complete fluid change (includes three drain and refills of the transmission) and strut assemblies all around. Some of this work I did myself and the rest was done by a local shop. I estimate I have spent around $4.5k-$5k on all the items listed. I do have a very well sorted vehicle that has the best capability to hopefully be mostly trouble free over the next 60k-80k miles (which should last me 8-10 years). I paid between $6k-$6.5k for it so I am at $11k-$12k all in. I could have spent much less if I wasn't so OCD about regular, and preventative, maintenance and done more of the labor myself. Then my all in cost would have been around $8k-$9k.

Buying older vehicles is always a gamble. What I have spent after the initial purchase would be just a handfull of monthly car payments on a new, or slightly used, mid sized SUV with the more popular options. Plus, in my area one has to pay personal property tax. My 2010 runs around $150 a year and a new $50k vehicle runs about $1,200 per year. I paid for most of my repairs and maintenance just from what I have saved in taxes over buying a new $50k vehicle.

It was a V8. It had a bad torque converter. The dealer said the Original Owner likely towed with it.

10K for a fixed up, well running truck or SUV is "steal territory," with the prices now. I know people paying close to a grand a month for newer stuff. Taken care of, a 2010 V8 in great shape now could be rolling around even 20 years from now if very well cared for.

It was a V8. It had a bad torque converter. The dealer said the Original Owner likely towed with it.

10K for a fixed up, well running truck or SUV is "steal territory," with the prices now. I know people paying close to a grand a month for newer stuff. Taken care of, a 2010 V8 in great shape now could be rolling around even 20 years from now if very well cared for.
When looking to replace my 3rd gen, I figured it would be with a 5th gen. The more I looked into them the more I disliked them. They are basically like every other front wheel drive vehicle with the option of AWD. They are pavement queens for the most part. Then there is the water pump issue that can take out the engine in the blink of an eye. So I decided on getting a 4th gen instead and am glad I did. IMO, the 2009-2010 V8 models are arguably the best years for buying an Explorer/Mountaineer that still has some balls while having good performance, creature comforts, good gas mileage and reliability without breaking the bank to get one. Now that I have had the strut assemblies replaced at 141k miles, I think I have it in about as good a condition as possible that is close to how it came from the factory. The handling and ride quality is very good for a vehicle of its nature. It is quieter, smoother and, to may taste, is more comfortable to drive than my wife's 2015 Edge. I think it was a sad day when Ford decided to separate the Explorer line from using components of the F150 chassis and drive train.

You should take the V6 models off your list completely. I have seen too many people come here and post about buying a 3rd or 4th gen SOHC V6 and find that they have paid $7k-$8k to replace the engine and transmission.

I'm kind of sad to hear this... I had a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport that I bought used in 2008 w/ 32k miles on it. I drove it until 2019 when I donated it just before I deployed. It had 186k miles on it when I donated it. It had the 4.0 SOHC motor. I maintained it well, and had to do the usual things with a car that was 15+ years old. I replaced the body-mounts (they'd deteriorated), replaced the suspension bushings and ball joints, the leaf springs, and the shocks. I also replaced the fan and the belt tensioner and idler pulley. But the engine itself was amazing. I think the only thing I ever did to it was change the spark plus, and I had to replace the coolant neck because it cracked. But it ran fantastic. I never had any engine rattle that I can remember, and I beat the piss out of it (it was pretty quick). I'd started to really let it go through about 6 months before... I don't think I even changed the oil because I just had so much going on. But I donated it to a kid down the street who had straight As, and they continued to drive it EVERYWHERE for the next 2 years I still lived in that state. The dad ended up making it his car, which kind of irked me because I gave it to his kid... but whatever. I saw it all over San Antonio at all the local events (Christmas lighting, etc.)... and I know it was mine, plus I saw him driving it back and forth to work every day... so I know the guy literally drove the s**t out of it after I gave it to him. It HAD to have had over 200k miles by the time I moved. It's probably even still being driven now. This was a picture of it when I lived in Maryland back in 2011...

02_ExpMain.jpg

Like, really... it was such a fantastic car.

Get the v8 don't get me wrong I don't like the 4.6s or at least the 2valves have had some pretty bad luck with them but the 6r80 or 6r60 are practical bulletproof with having 2 5rs go out on me I'm not having another vehicle with it in it. Good luck trying to find them though.

The 4.6 SOHC motors are some of the most dependable motors Ford has ever built. It's literally what they used in the Crown Victoria which saw police duty for 100k+ miles, and then typically went on to taxi duty for another 200k miles. When I'd see them in the junkyard, they were so ragged out, and it wasn't uncommon to see them with over 300k on them.

This is my Ford Crown Victoria. I inherited it from my grandfather back in 2004. It basically sits in the garage... I think it has 50k miles on it now, almost all of which was put on by me over the years...

2014_Summer.jpg

2014_Summer_2.jpg

The engine and transmission are totally stock. But I've taken the best parts from the Police Interceptor, the Grand Marquis LSE, and the Marauder, and put them all in my car. Everything from the interior to the engine compartment to the exterior. But I've done so in a way that it looks totally stock. It's nice and quiet, and the interior is not gawdy, but totally stock looking...

Stereo1.jpg

You'll note the 140mph Speed Calibrated Police Interceptor speedometer integrated with all the factory LX gauges...

CV02_6_lrg.jpg

I swapped them out when both my factory gauges and the Police gauges matched in miles. Steering wheel was a NOS from a Grand Marquis of the same year and interior color.

Car is a little dirty there, but completely unchanged in the 13 years since those last three pictures were taken. I actually only start it once every 6 months (battery is almost always dead). I put maybe 100 miles on it per year, if even that. It basically just sits in the garage...

IMG_4951.JPG

But yeah, I love the power of this thing. It has all the suspension upgrades (while keeping the original wheels). It also has tons of "factory" performance upgrades, such as aluminum driveshaft... again, all the performance police stuff (larger MAF, Marauder airbox). The ECM's been reflashed, transmission points adjusted (shifts nice and calm when just cruising, but really firm shifts when you floor it). Magnaflow high-flow cats, LSE Sport Exhaust (again, super quiet when just cruising around, and then screams like a raped ape when you floor it).

I love the car, but just never drive it, and it takes up a garage bay. :(

View attachment 444305

The 4.6 SOHC motors are some of the most dependable motors Ford has ever built. It's literally what they used in the Crown Victoria which saw police duty for 100k+ miles, and then typically went on to taxi duty for another 200k miles. When I'd see them in the junkyard, they were so ragged out, and it wasn't uncommon to see them with over 300k on them.

This is my Ford Crown Victoria. I inherited it from my grandfather back in 2004. It basically sits in the garage... I think it has 50k miles on it now, almost all of which was put on by me over the years...

View attachment 444306

View attachment 444307

The engine and transmission are totally stock. But I've taken the best parts from the Police Interceptor, the Grand Marquis LSE, and the Marauder, and put them all in my car. Everything from the interior to the engine compartment to the exterior. But I've done so in a way that it looks totally stock. It's nice and quiet, and the interior is not gawdy, but totally stock looking...

View attachment 444308

You'll note the 140mph Speed Calibrated Police Interceptor speedometer integrated with all the factory LX gauges...

View attachment 444309

I swapped them out when both my factory gauges and the Police gauges matched in miles. Steering wheel was a NOS from a Grand Marquis of the same year and interior color.

Car is a little dirty there, but completely unchanged in the 13 years since those last three pictures were taken. I actually only start it once every 6 months (battery is almost always dead). I put maybe 100 miles on it per year, if even that. It basically just sits in the garage...

View attachment 444304

But yeah, I love the power of this thing. It has all the suspension upgrades (while keeping the original wheels). It also has tons of "factory" performance upgrades, such as aluminum driveshaft... again, all the performance police stuff (larger MAF, Marauder airbox). The ECM's been reflashed, transmission points adjusted (shifts nice and calm when just cruising, but really firm shifts when you floor it). Magnaflow high-flow cats, LSE Sport Exhaust (again, super quiet when just cruising around, and then screams like a raped ape when you floor it).

I'm in love! It's not like I don't like 4.6s I loved our 05 but it gave us terrible problems but would I get another one hell yes. The Crown Victoria we owned we bought broken had a leaky freeze plug we had it 18 months 65,000 and it hydro locked itself. Bought it 56k But that trannie was strong same with 3rd gen I think I miss the third gen most of all right now. Nice Crowny👍👍my second idk the original miles but had 172k when we bought trannie shifted fine no death rattle it just started doing the death rattle when I let family barrow it 198k

battery is almost always dead
A battery tender is your friend. In the winter, I have four of them running and my batteries have a long life. Nice Crown Vic.

I'm kind of sad to hear this... I had a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport that I bought used in 2008 w/ 32k miles on it. I drove it until 2019 when I donated it just before I deployed. It had 186k miles on it when I donated it. It had the 4.0 SOHC motor. I maintained it well, and had to do the usual things with a car that was 15+ years old. I replaced the body-mounts (they'd deteriorated), replaced the suspension bushings and ball joints, the leaf springs, and the shocks. I also replaced the fan and the belt tensioner and idler pulley. But the engine itself was amazing. I think the only thing I ever did to it was change the spark plus, and I had to replace the coolant neck because it cracked. But it ran fantastic. I never had any engine rattle that I can remember, and I beat the piss out of it (it was pretty quick). I'd started to really let it go through about 6 months before... I don't think I even changed the oil because I just had so much going on. But I donated it to a kid down the street who had straight As, and they continued to drive it EVERYWHERE for the next 2 years I still lived in that state. The dad ended up making it his car, which kind of irked me because I gave it to his kid... but whatever. I saw it all over San Antonio at all the local events (Christmas lighting, etc.)... and I know it was mine, plus I saw him driving it back and forth to work every day... so I know the guy literally drove the s**t out of it after I gave it to him. It HAD to have had over 200k miles by the time I moved. It's probably even still being driven now. This was a picture of it when I lived in Maryland back in 2011...
If the owner does consistent oil changes every 5k miles, or less, and drains and refills the transmission every 50k-60k miles this goes a long way in preventing a catastrophic failure. Then there are just some engines and transmissions that defy the odds and run forever with poor maintenance. The main reason the 5R55 transmissions fail is due to Ford telling the owner that the transmission fluid is "lifetime" and no consideration to replace it has to be made until the mileage hit 150k. This killed more of these transmissions than anything else. They should have recommended a service every 60k miles. The 4.0L SOHC engines dying are more of a mixed bag where extended oil changes killed them more than anything else, IMO.

View attachment 444305

View attachment 444306

View attachment 444307

View attachment 444308

View attachment 444309

View attachment 444304

Can't keep that here, they get frame rot.

If the owner does consistent oil changes every 5k miles, or less, and drains and refills the transmission every 50k-60k miles this goes a long way in preventing a catastrophic failure. Then there are just some engines and transmissions that defy the odds and run forever with poor maintenance. The main reason the 5R55 transmissions fail is due to Ford telling the owner that the transmission fluid is "lifetime" and no consideration to replace it has to be made until the mileage hit 150k. This killed more of these transmissions than anything else. They should have recommended a service every 60k miles. The 4.0L SOHC engines dying are more of a mixed bag where extended oil changes killed them more than anything else, IMO.
I think the the longest lasting sohcs were the sohcs that had the infotainment in the center console ever 3k miles it would go off as for 5r55e I agree 100%

Back