4th Gen Power Running Boards on 3rd Gen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Power Running Boards on 3rd Gen

Hey Yeet, thanks much for the video. I will give this a go tomorrow for sure!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motor's most likely still good. Watch this video and see if it helps.

hey yeet. I tried out your video suggestion this morning and it worked great. Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate you and this forum. Here's a pic of my baby. It may be 12 years old but she still looks great and with only 104000 MI she runs and drives great too. now if someone can help me on another thread I have posted a question on how to remove the center console in the second row seating area. Again thanks!

20210309_115104.jpg

hey yeet. I tried out your video suggestion this morning and it worked great. Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate you and this forum. Here's a pic of my baby. It may be 12 years old but she still looks great and with only 104000 MI she runs and drives great too. now if someone can help me on another thread I have posted a question on how to remove the center console in the second row seating area. Again thanks!
No problem, I love FordTechMakuloco's videos and go to him with a lot of issues I have. I will also check out your post about your second row console, as I have a 2005 Limited with 2nd row buckets as well. Haven't attempted to remove it so I wouldn't really know what to do. Here's a picture of my truck
THE VAN.jpg

BIG UPDATE: I’m finally doing this! walked out of LKQ with a set of 07 Mountaineer boards for a whopping $57 yesterday and installed the passenger side today, which is stuck halfway… now i’m currently brainstorming how the hell i’m going to get these things to work. i will test some basic stuff first and figure out what each pin on the connector does through trial and error. i’m hoping they will simply work via direct tap to the door latch sensors. if not i’ll get an AMP universal adapter and hack it up for my purposes.
8320A9B9-62AF-40A1-9AD5-9DF288C79141.jpeg
86379778-5A95-4474-A351-AC71006B56B2.jpeg

That is a terrific price! Good luck with getting them to function.

That is a terrific price! Good luck with getting them to function.
thank you! with this side being stuck halfway down i’m pretty sure the hinges need lubricated. driver side boards are all the way in which tells me they most likely work fine. will be lubing everything up regardless

2022 UPDATE: Yes, it's been almost 6 months since I've posted here, but lo and behold, the power boards are still on my vehicle. I was able to get the passenger side board back up by taking the cover off the motor and turning it by hand. No, I haven't gotten them working yet, that will still require a significant amount of electrical wizardry unfortunately, but I believe I can get them working. They do look great though!
245182661_412484176929066_3878557615215193971_n - Copy.jpg

Let us know if you ever get them working electronically. I was looking for folding steps myself and thought about going this route but wasn't sure if they'd bolt up...

Let us know if you ever get them working electronically. I was looking for folding steps myself and thought about going this route but wasn't sure if they'd bolt up...
Direct bolt-on. find a 2006-2010 mountaineer or a 2007-2010 explorer eddie bauer or limited that has them at a junkyard, for boards that are $1500 a piece retail i walked out of LKQ with both of mine for $57 out the door. the wiring is another story. i'm trying to do some research as to what all the wires on the pigtail do. will keep posted

Hey guys! It’s been quite some time again since I’ve updated this, but I’ve finally gotten my hands on the factory power running board module. Currently the goal is to hook it up to my current CAN BUS system and see if it will function, though I honestly doubt it. More to come soon.

A3255886-E8EA-46AF-A84C-8EAAB0350E5A.jpeg

Good Luck! I am doing lots of preventive maintenance on my power running boards to keep them operational. So far, so good. They are very functional and give the vehicle a clean look when they are tucked up against the frame.

Good Luck! I am doing lots of preventive maintenance on my power running boards to keep them operational. So far, so good. They are very functional and give the vehicle a clean look when they are tucked up against the frame.
I actually need your help. On your passenger side, go underneath and take some good photos of the wires coming out of the connector going to the motor AND the wires going back up to the body. I have all the colors/functions for the body connector figured out but I need to match them to the colors off the motor wires since they are different. If you could do that when you get a chance you could save this entire project. We’re so close!

I actually need your help. On your passenger side, go underneath and take some good photos of the wires coming out of the connector going to the motor AND the wires going back up to the body. I have all the colors/functions for the body connector figured out but I need to match them to the colors off the motor wires since they are different. If you could do that when you get a chance you could save this entire project. We’re so close!
Will do. It might take a couple of days. It is raining here and will do it when it clears up.

Will do. It might take a couple of days. It is raining here and will do it when it clears up.
No need now. Got my hands on a diagnostic manual for the 4th gens and figured it out. Appreciate it though!

OCTOBER 2022 UPDATE: How’s this for progress? Huge thanks to CallMeSyd for the help finally getting this done. Super happy with how it came out. Considering doing a video or possible write-up on this.

Congratulations! I know this has bee a long arduous process for you.

I made a video explaining everything:

I guess it's not as interesting to everyone else lol but I still thought it was cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello! It’s very cool! I have the same running boards but have no idea how to connect them! Can you give me some information about? Thank you

Back