4WD 5R55E in a 2WD... Is it possible to use? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD 5R55E in a 2WD... Is it possible to use?

Good collection Chris. The 5R55W... manual I got was $30+SH. Recall I was hoping to be able to use the 5R55W in place of the 5R55E. Before I got to worry about that, I found out that they are a little different, and have more issues than the 5R55E.

I don't have an Aviator yet, but maybe someday. That dash bugs me, hopefully something can be done someday.

Good info, and here's a tip for 4R70W high perf. applications. There is another torque converter company making aftermarket units which sound good. The prices are a little better than some of the other companies. The company is Edge Racing Converters, and their retail price is $565, for what sounds like elsewhere could easily be $800.
Night,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just for the record... I was able to pick up a 4wd tranny to compare it to, and the 4WD tranny has a shorter output shaft, thus will not work on a 2WD without swapping them.

I figured it's more hassle than it's worth to swap them, so I decided to get reman. 2WD 5R55E.

Anyone need a basically factory new (150mi) 5R55E?

It's a shame that you would have to take it apart to change the output shaft. If you could get a 2WD shaft easily, that would be a nice trans for you. I wish it was a 2002 or newer, I will be hunting one of those some day. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
It's a shame that you would have to take it apart to change the output shaft. If you could get a 2WD shaft easily, that would be a nice trans for you. I wish it was a 2002 or newer, I will be hunting one of those some day. Regards,

I could swapped the output shaft from the tranny I pulled, but taking an entire new tranny apart was not an ideal thought.

An experienced trans mechanic can do it in probably less than an hour. If the mileage is really that low, I'd try to find someone to swap the shaft. Buying just the shaft, and finding that labor, could take some time. I have never been into a 5R55E, but I have done several AOD's, and a 4R70W. There are a few special tools to rebuild one, but very little special is needed to simply pull the guts out, swap the one part, and reinstall the guts.

If it is still a possibility, try to get a line/price on a shaft, and someone to swap it. A fair labor price shouldn't be $200. I think I know someone here that would do it for $100. Good luck,

Back