4wd help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

redreatta

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT
Ok......so i need some guidance. i have a 96 explorer 4.0 that flashes the 4wd light when i try to use it, i know it worked last season but now it does not and the snow is comming.......where should i start?

From http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148993&highlight=4wd+light+flashing

Sounds like your speed sensors in your transfer case may be bad or dirty. One is under the rear driveshaft, one is above the shift motor - both face rearwards, and both can be removed to at least be inspected by removing a single 10mm bolt each.

Not a bad time to check your wiring and make sure the electrical connector down there is in good shape, and not corroded.

Another possible culprit could be the shift motor, located on the back of the transfer case. If it fails to shift the transfer case, the speed sensors pick up lack of drive to front driveshaft, and the 4X4 indicator light is made to flash.

imp

If the 4wd light flashes when 4HIGH is engaged then the shift motor is not the culprit. The shift motor is only energized when shifting between 4HIGH and 4LO.

The engagement for 4HIGH is electronic and computer controlled.

Back