4wd high light won´t turn on? 2003 auto, xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd high light won´t turn on? 2003 auto, xlt

persalls

Reaction score
City, State
Vellinge, Sweden;Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac xlt
Hi guys!

Just bought the truck and getting to know fault´s and features :)

When switching the knob between different drive type´s it engages 4wd low and the light comes on. When switching to 4wd high i can hear the relay-box, behind the glovebox, switch but the control-light will not come on. Iám actually, so far, unsure of the the actual engagement of the system but i will try to lift the truck or even perform a test when I find a spot suitable for testing but could it be as easy as a bulb that went out? I have read about vaccum-testing and stuff but better to start in the easy-end?

What is noticable is that low engages but is 4wd actually goes in even in "low" needs to be further examined.

When I turn on the ignition the 4wd low light comes on as to check it´s functionality but the 4wd high does not, how is it in your trucks? this could be a first check I imagine.

//brg Per from Sweden

The 4Hi, 4Low and O/D Off lights were all burned out when I bought my 03'. I'm guessing that's all your problem is.

Seems that you are right there! Drove by an empty gravelspace this morning and everything seems to work just fine. Took some time for 4wd low to disengage though even if the light went out but I guess it´s kinda normal and the all wheels needs to be spinning at the same speed?. "some time" above wasn´t more than like 50 m or so :) so I guess for now everything that needs to be fixed is a new bulb. t3 that is?

Took some time for 4wd low to disengage though even if the light went out but I guess it´s kinda normal and the all wheels needs to be spinning at the same speed?.

I'm probably misunderstanding your meaning here, but you should be stopped in neutral with your foot on the brake to engage or disengage 4Low. It usually makes a pretty noticeable "thunk" noise. Glad everything seems to be working!

Back