4WD won't engage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD won't engage

I am having problems with my 4wd. The 4low light in the cluster comes on but not the 4high. The 4low light on the switch doesn't light up either. As far as i can tell it will not engage the front differential at all. When i test drove it the 4low light would come on but didn't have any place to test it.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

When I had similar issues, it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case shift motor. Worth looking into!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:DI was going to check all the plugs and connections today. Thanks! Praying that it is something simple like that.

Good luck. :thumbsup: Be sure to keep us posted.

OK I checked the connections to the 4x4cm (they were clean), I checked the 4x4 switch( connection was clean and tight but I have no way to test it), checked the connections on the transfer case (they look clean with no dirt or anything on them due to the shield for the 4wd actuator motor) I still have not tried the ground wire..... I read that it has a lot to do with the lights and everything not working so will give that a try next.

Well I fixed the 4wd. It lights up on the dash for 4wd high and low, the button for 4low lights up. It was the ground wire on the top of the transfer case. A short grey wire that for some reason wasn't grounding. So i ran a wire from the body ground to it. Now i have a new issue. I don't know how long it had been like that, but it pops really bad when making turns that i use to make with no sound at all. I have checked the axles and they have good boots with no grease leaks, tires are not hitting anything. Going to search around and see if i can dig up anything on this. If not, i guess it will be off to the mech.

I will check the wiring diagram when I get home tonight and post up some info for you!!

Thanks. I drove it today and it was popping when I left going to the store. Got there and popped when i turned to park but when i left it didn't and it didn't all the way home. So i got back in it a little later and checked the 4wd and it doesn't work anymore. I was going to do the brown wire mod on it but if it isn't working then i will just wait.

Haven't been home yet. Should be able to do it tonight..............:popcorn:

That's cool! Just when ever is convenient for you. I can drive it like this, i was before i tried to fix it. I started hearing this kinda roaring sound coming from the back. I think it might be brakes or wheel bearings. Hoping it is the brakes.

I still plan on doing the BWM just to have it done so i can have that choice when the 4wd is fixed. By the way does the 4wd CM make a clicking sound when it changes from 4wd high to low or auto 4wd to high? Mine was doing that as well,but that was when i pushed the buttons on the selector switch.

Okay, I have done the brown wire mode and everything. Had some problems with the starter wiring. It was all loose, so i tightened it up, removed the neg. battery wire, etc. I also removed the 4x4 control module and checked it inside (visually), removed the 2 4x4 fuses under the hood. I then put everything back together and it worked. The light in the switch flickered low and then bright when the 4wd engaged. I thought everything was great but it was short lived. I turned the truck off and then restarted it and 4wd doesn't work anymore, again..... what could be causing this? Loose ground, 4x4 cm, loose wire for the electronic clutches??????

4wd is working to good now. It is stuck in 4wd high or shifts in and out quickly. Possibly the front diff is going because it makes this noise like oversized mud tires going down the road....

4wd is working to good now. It is stuck in 4wd high or shifts in and out quickly. Possibly the front diff is going because it makes this noise like oversized mud tires going down the road....

Could be wheel bearings in the front also.

Could be wheel bearings in the front also.

I have the same problem. I raised the front end to check the bearings, but didn't find any slack on either side. But I did discover, while the wheels were in the air, that my front drive shaft is engaged. Someone told me to try tapping on the transfer motor to see if it would release. Is this good advice? Another question, where exactly is the fuse(s) for the 4WD? I don't have a locator on my fuse box door

I have the same problem. I raised the front end to check the bearings, but didn't find any slack on either side. But I did discover, while the wheels were in the air, that my front drive shaft is engaged. Someone told me to try tapping on the transfer motor to see if it would release. Is this good advice? Another question, where exactly is the fuse(s) for the 4WD? I don't have a locator on my fuse box door

It is the fuse box out under the hood on my 2002. It will be 17-18 and they will be the mini blade fuses that are 20amp. the manual will so you where they are if you have one. I removed mine and the 4wd don't engage but the noise is still there.
I had mine check for the wheel bearings as well and they aren't it either. I was told that the noise is my rear differential gears and possibly the front as well:eek:. Seems the people that had it before me never took care of it to well.:(

Back