• Register Today It's free!

4X4 auto locking hub problem

Puremuscle

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Matthews, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
I recenly bought a 91 Explorer 4wd, and, and of course the auto lockinh 4x4 is not working. I took the front hubs off and found the insides broken. Since i'm not going to use the 4x4 any time soon, can I drive the truck without buying new hubs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's fine to drive it without the hubs working. Just put the old ones back on and make sure that both of them are unlocked.

welcome

Even if the loking parts a cracked. I pulled this "c" clip looking thing off, removed the sprocket and that lokcing piece was cracked. So remove all the chip pieces and reinstall and i'm good. Another question. do i have to put all the guts back in or can i just install the hub.

Thanks again

No need to put all of the pieces inside the hub back on. Just the outer casing to protect the spindle and bearings from water and road debris.

Thanks for the help...I'll be back. The truck has a dash bosrd problem in that the temp and fuel doesn't register, but everything eles does. One problem at a time!

Back