• Register Today It's free!

Auto Locking hubs

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
I was approached by a guy who saw that I have a 97 XLT EX with 5.0 and AWD!! He said he had some slightly used Auto hubs he could sell me for $20 each. My retort was.. "As far as i know, the AWD uses the Transfer case and a sensor in the transfer case, and is always spinning fronts anyhow, so there are NO front Auto hubs on my truck!!!!" He tried to argue, and was like "OK!! But you might regret not getting these!" Am I right or is he right??? Any help would be appreciated. I just had replaced both CV's on my Dad's 97 XLT Ex with the 4.0, and I don't remember removing any Auto hubs..just regular old wheel hubs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was approached by a guy who saw that I have a 97 XLT EX with 5.0 and AWD!! He said he had some slightly used Auto hubs he could sell me for $20 each. My retort was.. "As far as i know, the AWD uses the Transfer case and a sensor in the transfer case, and is always spinning fronts anyhow, so there are NO front Auto hubs on my truck!!!!" He tried to argue, and was like "OK!! But you might regret not getting these!" Am I right or is he right??? Any help would be appreciated. I just had replaced both CV's on my Dad's 97 XLT Ex with the 4.0, and I don't remember removing any Auto hubs..just regular old wheel hubs.

I'm 99% sure Your correct.. the 2nd gens don't run hubs and there are no "kits" to put them on..

~Mark

Your both are right, no hubs, auto or manual. The transfer case turns the front drive shaft and axles all the time, hubs would be of no use. Hubs are only useful with transfer cases that have a true 2 wheel position.

Your both are right, no hubs, auto or manual. The transfer case turns the front drive shaft and axles all the time, hubs would be of no use. Hubs are only useful with transfer cases that have a true 2 wheel position.

I HATE it when people think you are stupid and try to sell you something you do NOT need!! Thanks for the info!

Manual Hubs

Hey Guys,

You're actually all right to some degree. The transfer case does send power up front all the time(35% ft 65%rr). And yes 2nd gens run a live axle, no hubs. But there is a company that makes manual locking hubs for 98-00 Rangers. They had the same identical front drive axle as the ex's except that they had vacuum operated hubs. On the Rangers all you have to do is replace the hubs and you're done. On a 2nd gen ex you can also do the conversion. Check out this post.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284136
Of course with an AWD transfer case this mod doesn't make much sense, but alot of guys swap out the AWD case with a BW4406 from an F-150 which is a part time 4wd unit. I have a 99 Mountaineer with the control trac transfer case and I just did this mod on my mounty. On this case you can cut the feed to the torque-on-demand clutch in the case and install a switch. Switch off= true 2wd. Switch on= business as usual. The manual locking hubs are sweet. Also 1 added benefit if you switch the clutch off and put it in 4low you actually have 2low as well. Just some info to ponder. There options out there for you V8 guys.
Good Luck, Al:usa:

Turning off the TOD does just that but the fluid coupling is still turning the front axles, I still see no real time benefit in having hubs. If you switch to a transfer case with real time 2 wheel drive, front axle not turning then there is a benefit of having hubs.

Hey PopRichie77,

On the BW4405, the front wheels are not driven unless the speed sensors pick up wheel spin. The torque-on-demand clutch engages and power is transferred the the front wheels. This is possible because the front axle is live and always turning with the wheels. The BW4405 AWD model does have a viscous coupling and does always drive the front wheels. The Control-Trac version doesn't have this, it has an electro-mechanical clutch that, if its not engaged, sends no power to the front wheels. When I unlock my front hubs, with the clutch switched off my front drive line doesn't turn. There is a drawback that I forgot to mention. Because the front hubs are unlocked the speed sensors are seeing a difference between the front and rear drive shafts, and the GEM thinks it is engaging the front drive shaft. This could create a problem if you were to switch the clutch back on while driving with the front hubs unlocked. Slamming the front drive into gear at speed could do serious damage to the transfer case. So extreme caution should be used if you do this. I recommend this only as a temporary fix until you can swap your case with a BW1354 or similar. Still if you don't want to use the auto setting you can still do the Brown Wire Mod with the live axle.Sorry about the long winded explanation, but I thought about it after the fact and thought any one considering this should be aware of the risk. Thanks, Al

Thanks, I stand corrected, need to bone up on transfer cases.

Hey no problem. I looked back and I wasn't real clear on which case I had. So I thought a more detailed explanation was in order. Also didn't want to put an idea out there without the down side explained. I've learned more than I can say about my mounty from this forum so I want to pass on some knowledge when I can.

Thanks, Al :usa:

Back