• Register Today It's free!

Manual vs Auto Hubs

Verno

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Ok, I've read several of the posts here about the down sides of the infamous auto hubs. I was wondering if anyone ever went from the manual hub to an auto locking hub?
Mine is a 94 XLT which has manual hubs. I had to replace the pass side one a few months back when the wheel bearing went out on me, had to get rotor, spindle, hub from a junk yard. Replacement hub will lock/unlock both sides (I tested it while wheels were off and was replacing brake pads). My left one will not keep the wheel engaged. I get a clicking sound at the left front wheel when I lock the hubs and try 4WD. Idiot light on dash (Yes I have the electrical engagement 1354) says the T/C is in 4WD.

Can't find any more manual hubs at j-y's but they have several auto hubs. I was thinking maybe if I replaced the hubs with auto hubs and put cams in as per the difference in the haynes I might be ok--- then I read that if I only use 4WD occasionally, the auto hubs will fail; arguh.
Should I just buy a new set of WARN hubs (manual)??

Just last fall, I busted one hub. Went to a local 4x4 shop and bought a single Warn hub for ~$70. The only reason I can think of to put used Auto hubs on is if you really can't afford a new manual hub.

Back