4x4 High light blinking and water drips from glove box area - related? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 High light blinking and water drips from glove box area - related?

Scoobmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Endicott, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
Hi all.

I have a 2003 Explorer XLS V6 that just started some strange behavior on a long (12 hour) drive home from Tennessee to New York State this weekend. After being on the road for about 3 hours, the "4x4 high" light started blinking periodically. The Explorer didn't drive any differently and I didn't feel or hear anything mechanically wrong, so I just kept driving. About 2-3 hours later, my wife noticed water dripping on her legs from the glove box area (not a steady stream, but periodic drips). She felt along the bottom of the glove box and under the dash and told me it was wet. I figured that it may be A/C condensate backup (we had the A/C on the entire trip and it was VERY humid out). I didn't connect the two symptoms until after I got home and researched this online and discovered that the 4x4 control module is apparently located behind the glove box on the generation 3 Explorers. My guess is that somehow the condensation from the A/C condenser backed-up (drain became plugged?), ran behind the glove box, and shorted out my 4x4 module.

Anyone ever see this before? Where should I look for clogged A/C condensation drain holes/ports? How easy is it to change a 4x4 module? Can I try to dry/clean the current one?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I have located the 4x4 module, but before I mess with it I want to check the A/C condensation drain. I saw a post mentioning it is on the firewall, but where? I cannot see anything that looks like a drain hose. Is it down low behind the engine somewhere?

I would find it strange if the 4x4CM got wet.. its up pretty high and outside the blower box so... I dont think thats your problem.
The drain for the evaporator is outside down low on the firewall. You should see a wet spot under the truck there.. if not, the it seems it may be clogged.

Back