4x4 high works, but low does not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high works, but low does not

MetalMan390

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport trac
i recently bought an 01 sport trac 4x4, and noticed that when you turn the knob for 4x4, the 4x4 high light on the dash lights up and you can hear a click coming from a relay i am assuming near the passenger side kick panel. when you turn it to 4x4 low, nothing happens, no light, no click.

just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how they tested it out to determine what exactly the problem is... i am guessing either the switch or relay since i can't hear that relay come on, but i really don't know HOW to test them.

thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you switch to 4 lo correctly? You need to have the vehicle in neutral and then press on the brake pedal. You have to push harder than normal on the brake pedal before the switch makes contact.

I have to shift into neutral first to get into low. Not sure about the sport.

i recently bought an 01 sport trac 4x4, and noticed that when you turn the knob for 4x4, the 4x4 high light on the dash lights up and you can hear a click coming from a relay i am assuming near the passenger side kick panel. when you turn it to 4x4 low, nothing happens, no light, no click.

just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how they tested it out to determine what exactly the problem is... i am guessing either the switch or relay since i can't hear that relay come on, but i really don't know HOW to test them.

thanks for any help

did you try it the way you're supposed to (as described in the user manual)
think you have to be at a complete stop, in neutral, then switch to 4low,
4 high can be switched on the move up to 40ish mph

Did you switch to 4 lo correctly? You need to have the vehicle in neutral and then press on the brake pedal. You have to push harder than normal on the brake pedal before the switch makes contact.

thanks, that was the problem. it works fine now.

Low range 4X4 problem

I have a 2004 sportrac, you have to have the transmission in the N neutral position before it will change into low range, and the same to reselect high range.

Hope this helps

Martin:salute:

Back