4x4 hight blinks, (ABS) on -> message Check Advtrac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 hight blinks, (ABS) on -> message Check Advtrac

arro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Hi all,

I'm just wondering, before I take my car to the very expensive repair shop here.

Recently after I get up to about 50mph the 4x4 High light starts to blink, (ABS) light goes on and I get the a message "CHECK ADVTRAC" in the dash. Also when I reset that message I get "ADVTRAC OFF" and the button lights up as OFF.

Could anyone tell me what could be wrong. I realize it might be alot of things and I should get some error code, but just bringing the car into the repair shop is going to cost about $500, so I want to explore this forum first.

Regards from Iceland
Arro

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had the same problem with mine. Its usually the abs sensor that is located in the rear diff. Part was bout 20 bucks and problem fixed.

Do you know the part # and if its possible to replace it by myself or should I take it to the shop ?

First, crawl underneath your Explorer and see if it even has a sensor on the differential. If it does it will look like what this illustration from the 2003 manual shows:
WindowClipping13.jpg

The fact that your 4X4High lamp blinks as well as the ABS and AdvanceTrac lamps coming on leads me to think you may not have a ABS sensor on the rear differential. It sounds like you have an Explorer that has the sensors on all 4 wheels instead of one on each of the front wheels + one on the rear differential. I read somewhere that the ones that have a sensor on each of the 4 wheels use those sensors for ABS and for Auto 4WD.

Let us know if you have that sensor on the diff or not.

Arro, before you go and replace any sensors, you need to find out what your ABS trouble code is. The sensors on the diff are for the rear wheels. It may not be a rear wheel speed sensor, or it may not be a sensor at all. It could be a front wheel speed sensor or possibly a wheel bearing or part of the mechanical section of the wheel sensor, in which either problem would call for the whole hub being replaced. The first thing to do is have the codes read. I can tell you that I had a code of C1234, which indicated a RF wheel speed sensor signal not present. C1233 is LF wheel speed sensor signal not present. I also had a C1148 code which indicated the RF wheel speed sensor circuit problem. My RF wheel bearing had a little play in it so I replaced the hub and bearing which resolved the problem. I had the exact same symptoms that you had with all the lights and the ABS system would grab the RF wheel at times and was causing a lot of noise and clunking. The ABS, 4X4 and the ADVTRAC systems are all tied together. The advtrac system is controlled by the ABS system.

I'm having this same problem with my '04... I don't have the Advance-trac... So I have the 3 sensors (2 front and 1 rear diff)... The brakes work fine and the abs will occasionally engage while in a normal braking situation... other than that it works great... Could it just be the rear sensor...

I hope this post adds to your possible solutions for some of the 4x4 issues. The ABS sends signal to the 4x4 module on Pin 7 and brake switch applies 12 volts to Pin 13. when not depressed. Brakes being depressed, the signal from the ABS indicates to the 4x4 module that braking action is in effect. Signals from the ABS are ignored, if the brakes are not being depress indicates auto 4x4 action is required. The bottom line is a false signal from the ABS causes auto 4x4 engagement. The assumption is that the ABS is causing the error. False errors can be caused by burned out High Brake light bulbs. The bulbs are used as voltage divider in the ABS module signal line to keep the voltage at 0 volts or ground. I have also had this create ABS indicators errors on other vehicles. Buy five new 2825LL (03 Explorer) bulbs and replace all, that's a good start. Easy fix for a complex problem, good luck, hope this helps to resolved your problems.

If you have advance trac, then that means you have two ABS wheel speed sensors up front, AND two sensors in the back, one at each knuckle where the axles go in. Check obvious problems like unplugged or cut wires. You might try pressing and holding the reset and select buttons for the message center in order to enter the test mode, then cycle through options until you get to diag codes: it might give you your codes. if not, then its a trip to the dealership in order to pull codes.

One other things, if you've got a noisy/roaring bearing on your truck, often the ABS sensor on that bearings seems to have problems as well. Worth checking out.

....One other thing, if you've got a noisy/roaring bearing on your truck, often the ABS sensor on that bearings seems to have problems as well. Worth checking out.

Hello all. Frequent reader, first time poster. Now maybe that stupid message will go away.

I know this is an old thread, but that's what the search button is for, I reckon. I've had my '05 EB for a few months now, and as you might expect, I've been reading all the Tranny Klunk threads and all the Rear End Whine pages with interest. And now, it's the dreaded ABS light/Check ADVTRAC/ADVTRAC OFF thread. Having figured it out and fixed it, I thought I'd post my mileage.

Everything above is good stuff. One thing I had that I didn't see above is that after startup a couple of times, there would actually be an uncommanded application of brakes for a bit, until I found a parking lot and was ready to bail; then it snapped out of it and went back to 4WD light blinking, ABS light on, and since it's nice and snowy, the ADVTRAC was definitely off! But manual 4WD Hi and Lo were fine.

Something made me pause before getting the ABS gadget, though. I decided to just take the wheels and calipers off and just look at everything - maybe it'd be obvious, right? One quick tug on the LF wheel bearing/hub told me that whatever else was wrong, this thing was wobbly. Rubbing sound in cabin was just noticeable, and wasn't yet growling like bearings do. But I'd estimate a good 16th" of play in it. I was able to get The Three Bolts out and in with a 3/8 socket on an extension. I wish I had one of those offset wrenches! Had to use heat to get the axle nut off, but the heat made it easy. $132 at AutoZone and the job was done. New bolts not only came with it, but they were pre-primed with pucky.

Voila! All the lights went away with no resetting necessary. The automatic-ness of the 4WD returned.

Bottom line is that a failing front wheel bearing WILL cause issues with this system. But you can fix it.

How cool is that?

This is one of my favorite boards, and the only Exploder board I look at. I became as expert as I needed to be by reading here and thinking. I seriously doubt The Ford Manual would have gotten it done better.

Thanks to all involved with this excellent site.

Lee: Thanks for that post. Good to hear this isn't an expensive fix and can solve alot of problems that are inter related but not apparent.

Hey there

I have this problem with the light s coming on, on the highway, and the 4x4 is actually engaging on its own

shortly after though i started to get a funny sound from somewhere in the front end. Does that most likely mean that its the bearings in the front that have gone

thanx alot
Jeremy

Back