4x4 low will not engage but 4x4 high works - P1822 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 low will not engage but 4x4 high works - P1822

Same problem on my 02. Almost never use 4WD and it sits more often than being driven. So I crawled underneath and banged around with a rubber mallet. Not hard, obviously. Had my wife pressing the 4Low button repeatedly. It worked. Not the most sophisticated solution, but as mentioned, these things are getting old. Sometimes tapping and banging gets stuff moving again.
That's what is great about this forum - people passing along their tips. While I've been using 4wd high every time I run my Ex, for a few months now, never knew about using the Low every so often to make sure it works, until someone mentioned it a few months ago! First vehicle I've owned that had 4WD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what is great about this forum - people passing along their tips. While I've been using 4wd high every time I run my Ex, for a few months now, never knew about using the Low every so often to make sure it works, until someone mentioned it a few months ago! First vehicle I've owned that had 4WD.
The good thing about yours is that there’s no shift between auto and high. Even if never used, the high should function just fine.

The good thing about yours is that there’s no shift between auto and high. Even if never used, the high should function just fine.
all high is is engaging the TCC so as long as that works 4H should work just fine! 👍

all high is is engaging the TCC so as long as that works 4H should work just fine! 👍
I guess it does, cause 4H works, just turn the knob. But what does TCC stand for?

I guess it does, cause 4H works, just turn the knob. But what does TCC stand for?
transfer case clutch. the shift motor is only used to shift from 4A/H -> 4L it just engages an electromagnetic clutch to send power to the front, which is why it has 4A bein gan ESOF system afaik

Back