4x4 seemed no to be working--94 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 seemed no to be working--94 XLT

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
Took the 94 up into the Sierras for some skiing. When we came to chain control I kicked it into N, then pushed the button. I heard a click and the light came on.

Last month I replaced the motor on the transfer case.

This was the first time I had it in the snow. So everything was new to me. My Nissan 720 4x4, when you went into 4WD, you knew it instantly. The truck handled differently.
We continued on but as we got higher up on the hill I could still feel the rear end of the XLT slipping. I pulled over, pushed 4X4-low. Yup, the transfer case was engaged. I was now into Low Low.

I went back into 4WD HI--the rear wheels just spun. No front wheel drive. We did not move. It was as if we were still in 2WD.

Well, we made it to the ski resort but thinking about this during the day,

We just put new front bearings and brakes up front. The driveshaft is connected. But it still did not feel right. I did notice the ABS motor along with the brake pedal pulsating on a couple of slow turns with the 4x4 engaged.

Could the internal chain be broken? I changed the oil in the transfer case when I did the engagement motor, nothing came out of the case that would indicate metal shavings.

We are going to jack the front of the XLT up this weekend. Engage the transfer case, apply the emergency brakes. If I turn the front wheels by hand, should I not be able to tell if the transfer case is working? Would the case engaged keep the front wheels from being turned by hand?

Or, am I missing something. The vehicle has a new motor at 216K, everything else is in good working order. (Yeah I know, next week we are going up to Tahoe in the 01 XLT 4x4)

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the factory auto hubs? If so those would be my first suspect.

If it changes to low and has the obvious heat reduction and no front drive I would next suspect the chain, or output shaft, after ruling out the auto hubs.

Yes, factory hubs. Auto hubs. They did not work like my Nissan auto hub 720 pickup. On the Nissan, you pulled the transfer case back into 4x4, move forward slowly. The front hubs would lock in. To get out of 4x4, after shifting back to 2wd, you back up 5 or feet to release the hubs.

Maybe the Ford hubs work differently. I thought they were like the Jeep XJ I had once. Always locked in...

Maybe I need read up on how Ford designed this set up

Ford hubs should lock in on the fly. They are certainly not always locked in.

It’s very common for them to get sticky and quit working. Sometimes they just need pulled apart and cleaned. They only need a very thin film of grease, too much keeps them from working right.

OK, so where do I begin? The kids at the shop just put new bearings and rotors. I was only at the shop briefly to see the front parts removed.
Is cleaning the lockers straight forward?
I guess I need a schematic to see what is what and what is where....

Hopefully,. its just the lockers. And, of course, manuals could be installed from a Ranger I guess

I just read the write-up on how to convert. I've always had good luck with 1A Auto parts out of Kansas. Reading what I can see, the assumption is all I need to do it pull the wheel, remove the outer ring, and the metal keeper, swap in the new parts, then I am assuming the outer portion will bolt to the caliper as the factory ones did.

I usually pay the extra few bucks and get the hub and bearings already assembled to make life a little easier. Sure beats knocking the bearings out and pressing them back in. It only took about an hour one afternoon to change them on my '98 Xlt.

I usually pay the extra few bucks and get the hub and bearings already assembled to make life a little easier. Sure beats knocking the bearings out and pressing them back in. It only took about an hour one afternoon to change them on my '98 Xlt.
Aren’t all second gens (4x4) ALWAYS a hub assembly? His first gen has mechanical hubs, unlike your second which are solid.

Aren’t all second gens (4x4) ALWAYS a hub assembly? His first gen has mechanical hubs, unlike your second which are solid.
There was the option to purchase the bearings separability both online and the parts store so I figured as much. Ive dealt with it on other vehicles and ALWAYS get the assembly.

It looks like both are available on the 1st gens as well.

Rusty, this thread may help you, particularly the first post. 4x4 Troubleshooting guide

I would strongly suspect the hubs, then possibly the new shift motor next, maybe not aligned perfectly. I’ve never heard a case of the tcase chain breaking.

There was the option to purchase the bearings separability both online and the parts store so I figured as much. Ive dealt with it on other vehicles and ALWAYS get the assembly.

It looks like both are available on the 1st gens as well.
The separate bearings are for 2wd models only.

I’ve read about the chain breaking on the forum, but I think it’s very uncommon.

Back