• Register Today It's free!

4x4 shift motor 10-pin connector

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
bought a new shift motor for my 92 4x4. It has the same 10-pin connector except it's missing 3 wires. The brown centre one and the two that run to that sensor or some sort that fits in the whole on the transfer case. I put the shift motor on and plugged it in - wow...works great now shifting into 4x4. However, 4 lo doesn't work. What do those 3 wires do (the brown one that is in the centre pin position and the 2 that connect to the sensor)? Is one a ground and the other 2 for the sensor to tell if it's in neutral to put in 4 low? If so, if I cut the connector from the old one and solder the wires to the new motor, with the 3 other wires connected, will I get my 4 lo back?
Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search, I know that I have posted it a few times, the connector can be disasembled and the pins can be removed.

The brown wire is the power for the electromagnetic coil that actuates 4-low. the other two, if i remember right, are blue and green. they are the wires for the speedometer. without the brown wire hooked up, you wont get 4-low to engage.

Yep, the brown wire supplies the power for the 4Lo. I replaced my shift motor too and the wires are a bit of a pain to work out of the old connector, but it can be done with a little patience and a few choice curse words. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the red spongy wire holder out and then the wires will pull out of the connector with a gentle squeeze of each pin. After you get those out just push the wires into the new connector and all is well. (just make sure that you match up the green with the green and the blue to the blue for the female and male end of the connector) Hope this helps. :)

thanks.....i think i'm just gonna cut the wires and put the connector from my old one on. I'll solder the wires and tape them up.

Back