• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Switch Question

DementedEx

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8
I have a 2002 XLT V8 Explorer....No indicator lights on the dashboard but when i try and engage the 4X4 high or low with the switch... Nothing happens.... is that just a switch? or could it be something more serious. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you push the middle button (4x4HI) you should see both a light on the gauge cluster and on the button itself.

When you first turn the key on, do you see the 4x4H light come on briefly on the dash cluster? It should come on along with a bunch of others like Check Gauges, 4x4L, ABS, etc.

Welcome aboard DementedEx!! :salute:

Here are the lights D Hook is talking about:

InstrumentClusters-4x4LightsCustom.jpg

Nope the high light doesn't illuminate and nothing happens with switches. Is that the switch or most likely module?

Have you checked the fuses under the hood? Got an owners manual?

Thanks for the assist there Rondo. He might need a link to the owners manual as well.

EDIT: one other question: did it ever work? Is this a new problem?

Only had the truck like a week. Checked all the fuses they're all good. Yes i do have the manual but thank you. Truck has the high tech warranty offered by the dealership i bought it from. I know it'll cover whatever it is but i just wanna make sure i know what I am talking about when i take it back to get fixed so they don't try to HOSE me somehow.

Has the 4x4 ever worked? Did you check the fuses? The reason I ask is because some have had issues with the 4x4 not working and found out that the previous owner had removed the fuses to prevent the Auto 4x4 from working in hopes to achieve better gas mileage.

The Fuse information is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

The 4x4 System has the following fuses in the Central Junction Box located under the dash on the driver side. Fuse #12 is a 5A for the 4x4 Control Module. Fuse #15 is a 5A for the 4x4 Control Module. Fuse #29 is a 5A for the 4x4 Control Module & the 4x4 Switch:

Dead Link Removed

The 4x4 System has the following fuses in the Battery Junction Box located under the hood behind the battery. Fuse #17 is a 20A for the 4x4 Control Module. Fuse #18 is a 20A for the the 4x4 Control Module:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out!!

EDIT: Looks like you guys have already covered this. I gotta get faster with my typing. :p:

I've checked the fuses and read through some other posts I believe the module has failed

I've checked the fuses and read through some other posts I believe the module has failed

Hopefully the module is covered under warranty. Be sure to let us know how you make out!!

The reason I got the v8 explorer was the dealership said they could put a warranty on it to coverseverything down to the seat motors. Including reverse sense which is good cause thats malfunctioning as well.

Looks like now you'll get a chance to test out that warranty too! Keep us posted. Always helpful to find out what problems prevent the 4x4 from working.

I will let you guys know as soon as I get it fixed. Thanks for your help

4x4 not working fix

i had the same problem.I found pages of info on this site.here is the link that I hope will take you to the thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163694&highlight=4+wheel+drive+problems&page=2

TRY THIS FIRST:
I did the battery reset. Just like others have posted. Remove the POS cable to your battery. Then, put key in ignition and turn. I did it BOTH ways, since I wasn't sure if you should just TURN and STOP just BEFORE you would "start" car, or if you should turn ALL THE WAY, as if you were going to start the car. Anyway, did it BOTH ways. Went back inside to warm up coffee and grab a piece of toast. Went back out after 5 mins, reconnected the POS cable to battery and then went to start car. BE ADVISED. At first, I didn't think it worked because the "4x4Hi" dash light didn't light up, just the "4x4Lo". However, when you actually go all the way and START the vehicle, I actually saw the "4x4Hi" dash light come one, and when I pushed the 4x4Hi button, I heard the clicking and voila, the "4x4Hi" dash light stayed on. So, I "guess" I have 4x4Hi now? LOL. We're supposed to get more snow in the next few days. Will let you know, but I'm pretty sure, from hearing the clicking both inside AND outside the vehicle, the 4x4 was engaging. Good Luck to all !

If that didn't work:

The 4x4 Control module (CM) is a little black box located behind the glove box ~4" x 5 1/4" in dimension.. It has two electronic harness connections. To remove glove box, pull the sides in to let it open entirely. locate the black box, and remove 1 bolt from the underside of the black box, it then swings out and you can remove the (2 screws holding on silver bracket to the relay), disconnect the harnesses and replace accordingly.0000

DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU YO HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE IT PROGRAMMED just order it with your VIN # and install it.

If this doesn't work heres the fix:It is a relay called a 4x4 control modual it is located in the dash above your glove box.You open the glove box push inward on both sides so that the glove box will hinge down towads the floor.You will then be able to see up into the dashboard.There will be a big black square relay with 2 wire connections going to it .that s what needs to be replaced.they have to ordered from a ford dealer(not autozone/pepboys)
YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM THE VIN # for your truck because its truck specific.
The link I sent has instructions with pictures its like a 5 minute job. the relay is expensive the best price for mine was $i65 +shipping =$172 I got mine from a dealer in Rhode Island called TASCA FORD http://www.fordparts.com/tasca
Good luck!

this is what I was trying to find. Hope this helps

1) 8mm wrench to unhook the + side of the battery
2) opened glove box, push in both ends and it falls open
3) I found it easier to take a 6mm socket and take out the three screws holding the glove box on so that I had more room for my arms (and santa like body shape)
4) I then squeezed the tabs on the two wire plugs and pulled them down (came out easy).
5) DO NOT UNSCREW THE FIRST BOLT YOU SEE!!
6) unscrew the 6mm vertical bolt
7) once thats done you can swing the whole thing to the left and pull back torwards you.
8) now you can take out the two 6mm screws holding the bracket to the module and put it on the new module.
9) to install simply reverse the process
10) hook battery back up, start car and you should have everything back. If not that wasn't your problem.

Well i'll give the battery thing a shot tomorrow but if it doesn't work, I still have my warranty to take care of it :)

Well the battery thing didn't do S**T...so thursday morning she's off to the garage...We'll see what they have to say. Guy agreed with me on the phone about it most likely being the module. Apparently he's changed alot of them. But i'll keep you fellas posted on what they find out.

Ok...So it's the 4X4 module.... Who knows the cheapest place to get one????

Information printed on mine:

Ford# 1L24-7H473-AG
Vendor# M799G
Motorola# 01MU152806
Data# 01209

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if part# 1L2Z 7E453 A Would replace it?

Back