4x4 won't disengage unless I put it in reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 won't disengage unless I put it in reverse

St. Lou

Reaction score
City, State
MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I recently had a problem getting my '91 Explorer to go in 4x4. I repaired the transfer case motor per directions on the forum. It will now engage when I press the 4x4 button on the dash, but will not disengage until I put the vehicle in reverse and backup a few feet. The 4x4 indicator light on the dash goes out, but 4x4 does not disengage. (Low range still does not work.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple things;

Sounds like you still have Auto Hubs.

Push the 4x4 button disconnects the transfer case from the front diff, backing up unlocks the hubs from the axel shafts.

You can drive forward without backing up to unlock the hubs without damaging anything, you'll simply be turning the axel shafts, front R&P and front drive shaft. Net result is reduced fuel economy.

I have manual locking hubs and when driving up to the pass to ski, I leave the hubs locked so all I have to do is hit the 4x4 button.

To get into 4low, you must have the shifter in 'N' with the vehicle stopped. Same with getting out of 4low.

The autohubs do not fully disengage from the front half shafts unless you roll in reverse for more than one revolution of the front wheels. The advantage of this, is as Albino stated, the hubs are engaged as long as you're rolling forward, but the half shafts aren't unless the transfer case is engaged with the dash buttons. So, engage the hubs at a walking pace, and they will be on-demand from that point forward unless you back up.

4L is engaged while in Neutral, AND a foot on the brake.

If the 4x4 indicator lights go out then you are no longer in 4x4 (the front drive shaft is no longer receiving power from the T-case). If the hubs are still locked (which appears to be your situation) the front end will still "feel" heavy. As mentioned autohubs will not disengage until you reverse direction for a few feet.

As for 4x4 low not working have you:

1) Shift into 4x4 high
2) Put Transmission in "N"
3) Depress clutch on manual transmissions
4) Press 4x4 low

Thanks for the quick reply. I have Warn manual hubs on the vehicle and they are in the locked position.

Then you're in the same boat, butt until you unlock the manual hubs, the 4X4 will engage if the transfer case has been activated whenever forward motion is applied.

Moreover, St Lou, your 4X4 is acting just as it should, so don't worry about it. Having replaced 3 sets of front autohubs, ask me how I would know... ;-D

Thanks for the quick reply. I have Warn manual hubs on the vehicle and they are in the locked position.

Are you all set now, or do you still need more help?

Back