4x4 won't engage when cold

mkd8919

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hello All,

I've been working on fixing all the little glitches my explorer has, and with summer ending I'm thinking I should address the 4 wheel drive. I've went through the 4x4 troubleshooting thread, but it doesn't directly address my issue. I've only had my explorer for 8 months now, but it was my dad's before so I know a bit of it's history. The 4 wheel engages reliably in the summer, I can shift in an out, and shift into 4 low without issue, rain or shine. As soon as it gets cold though, I lose 4 wheel drive. I tried it this winter, and it worked once when it was around 30 or so, and then it didn't work again until it warmed up this spring. I tried it on and off with no result, and then as soon as it warmed up it works consistently again. Any idea what I should check? I was thinking it might be an electrical connection that loses connection due to the cold or ice, or possibly water getting in somewhere and freezing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your electric shift motor is getting weak and you might need a new one . search this forum & you should find some threads that will help you . if not just let me know & i will try to help you out . :thumbsup:

Just a thought, but have you checked your lockouts and see how the grease is in them? If too thick, when it gets cold, it might stop it from locking and no 4X4. Arne13

gmbroy, Would doing a rebuild of the shift motor per this thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542) help? The rebuild didn't seem to focus on the actual motor all that much ie new brushes so I wasn't sure if it would help. If not, would it be worth pulling one from the junkyard? Of everything I've read on here I haven't seen many complaints of the motor getting weak but maybe I missed them.

Arne13, I forgot to mention none of the lights come on. If it was an issue with the autohubs not engaging wouldn't the 4x4 lights come on? I have been planning on doing the hubs at some point anyway though because I don't think they've been done but I have a whole other list of things that hasn't been done first!

I would try cleaning and using dielectric grease on the connections for the shift motor, and using so electric cleaning spray on the motor brushes. You didn't say, but when it's cold and you lose 4x4, does the relay in the left rear quarter panel "click" when you press the button? If not, then I would check the control module located there for problems. Good luck with it!

MayJan, Good idea on cleaning the connections! I'll try to do that tonight after dealing with my power window problems. Also, I was just thinking about that module. I had read the troubleshooting thread back when I was having problems, but it was too cold out for me to actually want to do any work. If I'm remembering correctly, the module did not click, but I didn't know what I was listening for. I'll go engage the 4 wheel on my lunch break and see if I can hear the click so I have something to compare it too. I'm wondering how I can check the module since it's working right now?

If you need it, you can probably find a module at the pick and pull. Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes!

As mayjan stated you should check the module , but as it works in warmer weather I feel the problem is a weak motor here is a link to a shift motor . On these I do not like to use a JY . I feel safer with a rebuilt unit it will last the life of your explorer . usually the bumper is what goes . but with the way u describe it I do not think that is your problem . I could be wrong http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...earchTerm=transfer+case+shift+motor+connector
I hope this helps you out !!! if not just holler & I am sure that we will help you get it going . :roll: you could try rock auto also !!!
just by chance have you drained the fluid out of your transfer case & replaced it with the correct fluid which is mercon ??

I don't know if the lights would come on or not, but just had trouble with the plastic breaking in the motor. No lights came on but the module was sensing that the motor was out of time. To fix the broken piece of plastic, went to the hardware store, found a nylon bushing that was a quarter inch on the inside hole. Drilled it out and wound up with .050 meat left on the bushing, drilled it out to 19/64 so it would fit on the little stud. cut it off flush and reinstalled. Works fine now. Anyway, I suppose the motor has to move in order for the lights to come on. It could probably be any one of the answers you have had. If you find out what is wrong, make sure you come back on here and tell us. thanks, Arne.

Back