5.0 AWD drags when when OD...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 AWD drags when when OD...?

Cranmaro99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Hey all,

123,x.. miles on my 2001 5.0 AWD Limited Explorer.

My city mileage is great at 14.5mph, and my hwy is only 15, which is weird. I've done a FULL tune up on this thing, which increased city mpg but not hwy...

I'm wondering if my transmission is working correctly, which may cause this poor hwy mileage.

Long story short, it feels like there is some decent drag going on (like if a huge gust of wind hits the front of my Explorer or as if the brakes are being applied) whenever the truck goes into overdrive. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear do not do this. But once I get on the highway and OD kicks in it starts to drag a bit and I have to give it some more gas. It isnt BAD but noticeable.

It even does it down hill. If I'm going down a hill when in "drive" the car starts to gain speed, it will STOP gaining speed even downhill when the car hits 50mph or so, when OD kicks it.

Ideas? I think this is ruining my hwy mileage, but have yet to see this occur in all the searches I've tried. Is the torque converter acting weird?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if it is actually the torque converter lock up doing this.

You might try switching off OD, listen for the 3rd "shift" which would be the lockup, and see if it is doing the same thing.

I wonder if it is actually the torque converter lock up doing this.

You might try switching off OD, listen for the 3rd "shift" which would be the lockup, and see if it is doing the same thing.

Thats what I mean/was thinking. I'll try turning it off, but it definitely happens when the torque converter locks up (the RPM's drop to 1,400rpm or so hwy, etc). Right when it "shifts" into 4th gear aka OD the feeling happens.

The TCC is disengaged when you tap the brake pedal. You don't have to push on it, just tap enough to turn the lights on.

Doing so you can see if it has to do with 4th gear, or the TTC.

I found out my TTC doesn't work like this...

Yeah I'm not sure. Either way, screw it, I won't be keeping this thing too long I dont think. First and last Ford for me haha

Back