5.0 AWD Front Drive Shaft CV Joint Repair Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 AWD Front Drive Shaft CV Joint Repair Kit

crunchie_frog

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
I am needing to replace the CV joint on the front drive shaft on a 2000 5.0 AWD and am looking at the different CV joint repair kits available. I am looking at Rock Auto, Ebay, Amazon, and others and all the kits available have bad reviews. Most of the bad reviews are about the joint failing in weeks or months due to boot failure and the grease leaving or being contaminated. The Dorman kit 932-201 kit, which is the most expensive (~$100) has a lot of bad reviews on multiple sites about this particular failure mode. The other kits like from Detroit Axle and many others that range in the ($40 - $80) range also have bad reviews about early boot failure or bearing failure.

I actually bought one from Rock Auto (below) and it did not match their image nor did it look like the old CV joint and the ID where it fits over the drive shaft spline was too small so I returned it.
APWI FD5201 {#1L2Z4A376AA, XL2Z4A376AA} Info
Front; 4WD; AWD; Propeller Driveshaft CV Joint

Is there a particular brand of these kits that anyone would recommend?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was in the exact same boat as you, about a year and a half ago. Was about to pull the trigger on a repair kit, but the reviews sucked, and even guys on here complained. 500 miles, torn boot, grease gone, etc.

I ended up buying the Dana/Spicer full joint and bringing it to a local driveline shop, along with the driveshaft. They cut the old worn out unit off (they said the splines didn’t look good anyway, so good thing I went this route), welded the new one on, dynamically balanced, and painted the shaft for $110. The Spicer unit was $200ish.

It’s been great.

The kits are cheaper, but definitely a dice roll. I’d sooner pay the $310 again and know it’s done right and good for another 100k or more.

If you go this route, call around first. Two shops didn’t have the proper jigs for that CV, and couldn’t do the job. The last one did.

The Dorman kit may be the best of the aftermarket choices, I have installed one of those. The Detroit Axle should be the worst, they are a new company and almost everything they make is very cheap versus competition.

There are sources for an aftermarket shaft, a rebuilt OEM model. The one I found sounded very good, good company and reputation. It think those were in the low $300 range too, they had three lengths to choose from.

@FordTruckGuy just did one of these I believe using the Dorman part let’s see if he can help

I have never had to install a new joint as I have low mile d shafts sitting around

I am needing to replace the CV joint on the front drive shaft on a 2000 5.0 AWD and am looking at the different CV joint repair kits available. I am looking at Rock Auto, Ebay, Amazon, and others and all the kits available have bad reviews. Most of the bad reviews are about the joint failing in weeks or months due to boot failure and the grease leaving or being contaminated. The Dorman kit 932-201 kit, which is the most expensive (~$100) has a lot of bad reviews on multiple sites about this particular failure mode. The other kits like from Detroit Axle and many others that range in the ($40 - $80) range also have bad reviews about early boot failure or bearing failure.

I actually bought one from Rock Auto (below) and it did not match their image nor did it look like the old CV joint and the ID where it fits over the drive shaft spline was too small so I returned it.
APWI FD5201 {#1L2Z4A376AA, XL2Z4A376AA} Info
Front; 4WD; AWD; Propeller Driveshaft CV Joint

Is there a particular brand of these kits that anyone would recommend?

Thanks,
I bought a Dorman kit almost 9 years ago and 84,000 miles later the boot is still ok. I didn't use the Dorman CV joint because my original was fine. I caught the boot slinging grease before it got bad. Just used the Dorman boot and grease and so far it's still going! The original boot died at 112,000 miles.

Back