5.0 Camshaft Synchronizer Orientation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Camshaft Synchronizer Orientation

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, Exploder 5.0 AWD
Hey y’all, I’ve been reading a bunch through the forum and I just want to make sure I’ve got the right idea. My camshaft synchro self destructed so I had to get a new one (yes an oem one). To get it aligned right I just need to get piston #1 to TDC and then use the plastic tool on top the new synchro and stick it in there, the arrow on the tool facing in line with the front of the engine?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got it. Take out the #1 plug and turn engine (clockwise) by hand to TDC and then be sure #1 piston is at the top, full compression.

Yes make sure it is at tdc on compression stroke

The tool should point forward or slightly off to the passenger side, depending on where you stop your piston the cam sensor will land within a few degrees of straight forward

Again make sure you are on compression stroke not just tdc

Cylinder 1 is front pass side

I remove Plug, wet finger and stick in plug hole. With 15/16 socket being engine around Clockwise until air rushes past finger, this is compression stroke. Now with flashlight watch piston travel to top and as soon as it begins to drop… stop
Now check marks on balancer should be very very close to the 0
Now you cam install synchro
Make sure you dip it in oil first

I appreciate the confirmation guys. Got it installed and she's running great once again.
Fun fact this is what the old one looked like 😵
D6D96AD2-7A39-4A3E-BC1D-5588AB4CE61E.jpeg

The little flange was completely gone, the I was trying to mark out what was left. The first time I tried to fix this I just matched up the orientation of the new one with the old. It didn’t work it was driving all funky. Now that I’ve done the whole piston #1 TDC, she seems to be running much better. Super easy to do also.

Yes the bearing goes out and allows too much runout then the metal flag strikes the plastic sensor body and
Kablooey!!

Glad you got it!

Back