5.0 into 1996 4.0, how hard is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 into 1996 4.0, how hard is it?

woodco100

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt rare 5 spd 4WD
I have a 1996 XLT with a tired ohv 4.0, 5 speed and 4wd. 31s. I have a 1997 limited 4.0 4wd auto sohc parts car. No motor and bad tranny. I am willing to grab a v8 parts car if needed. Easy and cheap to find.

Should I swap in a healthly v8 or build my 4.0 ohv?

I want to keep the 5 speed and 4wd. :exp:

Daily driver, light off road and towing. Just looking for a HP boost off the line and to tow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can get a 96 or early 97 its not to bad. The wiring gets to be a real pain otherwise. Also you will need to swap out your front axle because you have the early one with a vac coupler and it will be in the way. I hope you do it and wish you luck. There is plenty of info here just search and ask.

Unless you have a sport, or some reason to be VERY attached to your current truck, just buy a running 5.0 truck and drive that. I mean, it's not like there is a difference between a truck that came with a 5.0 from the factory, and one you built yourself... except that the factory one is likely better built. (no offense to your ability, just saying)

to start, if you want to do a 5L swap is one thing, but if you want 4x4, and 5spd still, it may get $$$ to do it all in one shot. first off, yes, getting a donor truck is the first best step. then you have to find a f150 that has a 4406 in it, unless your ok with AWD (that means no 2wd, or 4low). then you would have to find another f150 that has a 5spd with a v6 for the 5spd (or if your really lucky, you can find a 4x4 v6 that has a 4406 in it). then, you will also need a rear drive shaft from a excursion. the parts hunt alone may make you go mad, but if your still ok with it, my registry has a list of parts you will need to do the swap.

I do not need a V8, I was hoping it was more plug and play, the 5 speed is more important. Wow, I think I will just rebuild my 4.0 with a cam, headers, intake and a chip.
Thanks, Woody

It is plug and play to go from a 4.0 to a 5.0 is as simple as getting a donor and parking them next to each other

As mentioned the early 4.0 front diff might need changed
Otherwise unbolt the 4.0 drivetrain remove it all including exhaust
Bolt in the 5.0 stuff just like factory

Good time for some upgrades like ditch the 96-97 5.0 exhaust manifolds and oil cooler

Bolting in a stick 5.0 drivetrain is same amount of work as bolting in a 4.0’drivetrain I mean to me it is not a huge conversion since a 96-01 came with the 5.0 factory

There are plenty of things to know depending on the year of your donor there
Maybe slight wiring changes To deal with, some minor plumbing changes to instrument cluster etc but all can be overcome quite eaily

There is nothing easier to bolt a 5.0
Into then a 4.0 explorer assuming we are taking stockish to stockish

8 years later...

Dang it!! Hahahahahaha

Back