• Register Today It's free!

5.0 manual sport front end?

allgravey20

Reaction score
City, State
pekin Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
I am wanting to build my "perfect" explorer but dont know how to start the build. I want a 5.0l with a 5 speed and an 01 front end. Do i start with a 5.0l and convert trans and front? Or start with a 5 speed ? I currently have an 01 sport with a small lift, 33x10s on 18s and 4:10 gear swap. I also have a complete front end off of a scrap 01 sport already.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first thing that confuses me with your post is, you have a 01 sport, and you want to change the front end to a 01 sport???? i also want to ask when you say front end are you talking about the sheet metal, or diffs?
you will have to find out one thing about your truck. they had job 1 and job 2 in 01. which means if you have the job 1, you can use the electrical from a 99-01 5L which will make your swap pretty much just a plug and play. if its a job 2, you will fact a lot of wire issues and will need to get yourself a ford service cd for your wiring (i know there is more to it then just this, but this is what i can remember at the moment).
you will also want to get a donor truck just so your not running back and forth to the wrecker.
your also going to need to find a f150 that is a 4x4 and had a 5sp (i believe 96-03 or 02) and while your at it, you might as well swap t cases for the 4406 manual as well.
if your talking about doing a 5 speed swap first, a 4L 5sp will not bolt to the 5L motor. i am not sure how much research you have done on this yet, but if you havent, you need to. im not going to say its easy or hard, but there is a lot of parts your going to have to find before you can even think about doing these swaps.

Elaborate on job 1 vs job 2?

Mine vin scans as a 00 with snap on modis but is most def an 01.

I'm gonna go with job 1 as my production is 8/00

I do have an 01 sport, but i want a 5.0l 5 speed with an 01-03 sport body. Im not sure whatthe easiest way to accomplish that is. I do have a donor sport with a good front clip. If it would be easier to start with a 5.0 explorer or a 5 speed explorer or to convert a sport

I do have an 01 sport, but i want a 5.0l 5 speed with an 01-03 sport body. Im not sure whatthe easiest way to accomplish that is. I do have a donor sport with a good front clip. If it would be easier to start with a 5.0 explorer or a 5 speed explorer or to convert a sport

Your only option is to 5.0 convert your sport. 5.0 trucks never came 5 speed or 2 door.

That's what I was unsure about. I wasn't sure if they ever made a two-door 5.0. I was pretty sure that they never made any other combination that would be easier to convert

If you haven't seen it, this thread may be of interest since 2001-05 (Job 2) ST's have the same front end as 2001-03 Sports from the firewall forward. 302 with a M5OD in a two-door Sport sounds like it would be a beast if it's even possible.If so, there should be lots of interest here. GL

5.0 swap into 2002 Sport Trac - The Ranger Station Forums

You will need a V8 4 door ..swap everything .... then you can look at the 5spd swap , its all f 150 parts , and then if you want 4wd look at the BW 4406 swap... you will need a tuner to turn off the transmission functions and sensors in the computer , you need to do a lot of reading on here about other peoples swaps and then decide if you want to proceed , i love my V8 sport but i do wish i had put a stick in it , i have all the parts so i am still thinking about it

Do it. I used an 03 f150 m5r2, but I believe it is the 01-03 year range m5r2 tranny that is needed as it places the top shifter right in the stock location for a ranger / explorer. I also used the Core / Hurst short throw shifter for mine. If you talk to the owner, he will supply you with an f150 base and a ranger shift stem. He will also advise against it but as it requires a "more aggressive" push and pull as opposed to stock, but he was kind enough to let me do it anyhow.

This thread got me through the swap:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-5-0-awd-auto-to-5spd-m5r2-and-4406-m.248285/

The pics are still there and if you have questions, I am sure you will be able to figure it out. Word of advice if you do swap out the tranny's, unbolt the exhaust manifolds from the block. Those exhaust pipes really try to play games getting the 4r70w out, but it is far worse when trying to get the m5r2 back in. By far the hardest part of the swap for myself, other than using the clutch plate bolts in the proper fashion. Centerforce instructions say not to use lock washers on the bolts when installing the clutch plate to the flywheel. Without the lock washers the O'Reilly bolts wouldn't bring the clutch plate to full seat on the flywheel. I called Centerforce and they said that was only to stop people from going out and using regular bolts for the flywheel, and that what I had was actually good to go. The shoulder on the bolts was too big otherwise, but with their good graces, I installed them with the lock washers and everything was then right with the world.

All info possibly needed for the swap is in that thread.

**I get that this is a late post, but I hope it helps.

Back