5.0 Mountaineer Trans problem I think. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Mountaineer Trans problem I think.

5.0 merc

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 merc awd
I have 1997 mercury mountaineer I bought about a year ago. Before it broke down I noticed sometimes when I was driving and I let off the gas and the rpms when don't, and then I started to accelerate It seemed as if the engine was reving and the transmission wasn't catching then you'd hear a clunk and it would catch. When it broke down It wouldn't go into park drive reverse neutral or anything and it just whines/grinds the whole time. After I got it towed home My father in law and a friend came to take a look at it whith me and we ended up taking off the old transfer case as they said it was the culprit. Just recently I found a new transfercase at pull apart (jasper rebuilt) and installed it my self ( I"m not very mechanicly inclined but i'm trying to learn cause I loved my merc before it broke down. It just felt so right.) When I got every thing back together and the fluids topped off It moved and went in to gear. Although switching through gears (p d r n etc.) there was some hesitation. I drove it through town and stopped at a traffic light there was no one behind me so i put in reverser to check it out and when I put it back in drive clunk.... same problem all over again. What I really want to know Is if the input shaft on the transfer case has flawless teeth and the car is rolling freelly back and forth it has to be the transmission right. I'm pretty sure it is and I've found one for 199$. I just want some confirmation before I persue this route. Thanks if anyone replys and i am a new member but I've been looking at this site for days and I hope to get a lot of usefull information about my merc her.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No i don't really know how to check for slack in them. I I know that it moved freely up and down and left and right. I have planned on replacing both of them soon anyway. Will slack in the ujoint cause it not to go in gear?

Sloppy U-joints won't keep it from going in gear, but they can cause a clunk similar to what you're describing. Too low of a fluid level can keep the trans from going into gear or shifting correctly, so checking there is a quick & easy way to start troubleshooting. Remember that you've got to check the fluid parked on a level surface with the engine running & trans in park to get an accurate reading. Take a look at the fluid when you pull the dipstick - is it clean and red, or burned and brown?

EDIT: BrooklynBay beat me to it..he's the real tranny guru anyway! :D

One thing I did notice when it broke down was that it was extremely low on transmission fluid and it had been running that way for a long time. After I replaced the transfer cases I put new fluid in the transfer case and I also took the pan off the transmission and the fluid that came out was really dark. No big chunks of metal or anything but there were lots of small shavings on the accumilator... I put in a new filter and added probably about 8 quarts of transmission fluid to get it full. I think all that came out was about 4-5. now I think it ran probably about 3 quarts low for a while. and the trany does have about 215,000 on her. She has had then engine replaced with one with about 100,000 miles when I got her. And now I got a new transfer case on her. So I'm think I screwed up the tranny by not ever putting any fluid in her when I got her. For some reason I never checked.

I just bought the new to me transmission for $199. Its got 96,000 on it, I'm just going to go ahead and replace the old one. I'm pretty sure its the problem. I plan on keeping the fluid level full and changed out in the new one. How often should I change the the fluid out. Just when it starts to loose the red color? I feel like this truck was meant to be. It had a newer engine installed when I got it that runs great. I got a jasper rebuilt transfer case for $85 with 90 day warranty and now a 96,000 mile tans for $199 with 90 day warranty. Just got to swap out the transmission now.

Its 3 in the morning and I almost have the transmission out. Does anyone have any suggestions of something that I should replace whille I have all of this stuff taken out. I picked up 3 u joints at the parts store today. If you can thank of something else that would be good to replace let me know. Thanks!

Back