• Register Today It's free!

5.0 oil pan removal

Lunar2000

Reaction score
City, State
summerville SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer XLT
hey im wondering if theres any way to remove the oil pan on the 5.0 v8 explorer 2wd without pulling the engine the service manual says you have to pull the engine the only way that i could see that you could drop the pan without pulling the motor is removing the steering rack i mainly wanna know if i would just waste my time removing the steering to find out i cant remove the pan my oil pump crapped out so thats why i have to remove the pan

IMG_20240308_070312407.jpg

IMG_20240308_070320312.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless the 2wd is different…to pull the steering rack, you need to lift the engine about an inch on its mounts.

So either way the engine is coming “out”—the question is “how far is it coming out?”

the other problem will be is getting it past the sump, and for that you would have to lift the motor, drop the pan down enough to unbolt either the pump and sump, or just the sump.
if it was a 4L it can be done, but being a v8 there isnt enough room. you can pull the rack without lifting the motor, but its a major PITA

I would plan to pull the engine
It is too tight to try and r and r the pan gasket in the truck. Chances are good you will botch the job and still have a leaky oil pan
With the engine out you can replace /‘Re seal several
Leak spots

Doing the oil pan in the truck is possible on a 4 cyl or the. 3.0 v6 but the 4.0 or 5.0 near impossible.
I have done many and when it’s a ohv 4.0 or v8 I just pull the engine it ends up being faster

Unless the 2wd is different…to pull the steering rack, you need to lift the engine about an inch on its mounts.

So either way the engine is coming “out”—the question is “how far is it coming out?”
on the 2wd you do have to lift the engine to take the steering rack out

on the v8 you do have to take the oil pump off to take the pan out just letting anyone know if they have to do a oil pump i removed the steering rack and for that you have to lift the engine you also have to take the driver side exhaust pipe out to get the pan out and also to get the steering rack off you have to take the oil filter housing off

Back