• Register Today It's free!

5.0 PCV location 2000 Monty

hyperexplore

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 EB Explorer
I know that the stupid location of the PCV is at the back of the 5.0 close to the firewall an impossible location. My question is it mounted on the backside of the intake plenum or down on the intake manifold ?
I've tried the inspection mirror but no luck to grab it after several attempts. I'm beginning to think I need to remove the intake plenum..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the intake. hope these pictures help.

DSC00606_Medium_.jpg

DSC00635_Medium_.jpg

I'm I correct to assume that it's in that fat rubber grommet at the end of the hose that has the tee fitting on it ?

yup. right below the fuel rail coupler. one other member suggested (and i wished i would have done this) was to put a little silicon on it to keep it from blowing out.

someone recently posted that Sears charges a flat rate of $34 to replace the PCV on a V8. well worth it i'd say. i've changed the PCV on the SOHC V6, and that was a major PITA. V8 looks impossible (unless you pull the engine... LOL)

Ridiculous to get your hand in there. Damn near need a proctoscope. Also, on mine the grommet was super loose. Bought a replacement and it was worse. I had to glue it in with silicone to get it to stay.

someone recently posted that Sears charges a flat rate of $34 to replace the PCV on a V8. well worth it i'd say. i've changed the PCV on the SOHC V6, and that was a major PITA. V8 looks impossible (unless you pull the engine... LOL)

No go, koda. I called Sears at Town Center; after a callback they said $120. I woulda paid $34 in a heartbeat!!

No go, koda. I called Sears at Town Center; after a callback they said $120. I woulda paid $34 in a heartbeat!!

too bad. Sear's must have figured out how much work it really was.

too bad. Sear's must have figured out how much work it really was.

Once you know how to do it, it probably takes 10 minutes. But the $120 is to cover the cost of sending the guy home the rest of the day because he won't stop swearing in front of customers after changing the valve.

yup. right below the fuel rail coupler. one other member suggested (and i wished i would have done this) was to put a little silicon on it to keep it from blowing out.

Is that big fat grommet actually covering the PCV ? I bought a new grommet and it does not look like that. I suppose the actual grommet goes flat down into the intake and the PCV pushes into the grommet.. Thanks to your photo I actually found it with my hand. This Saturday am I will do the change on a stone cold engine..looks like if I move the harness off the firewall above it will be way easier to grab..

It's not terribly difficult, I just did mine 2 weeks ago. I was able to just get my arm and hand back there to pull it out and put the new one in, took about 30 minutes total. I was able to get to it from the passengar side of the vehicle.

Is there a difference in the hoses on vehicles before and after 1997? Some hoses I see have a T fitting, like pictured here, but I also see some with an F fitting.

I have a 99 5.0 and was able to locate the PCV with the help of the following YouTube video:

The video is for a 2000 Monty. Should work for you. I was able to reach my hand to grab the PCV just like in the video.

I’m talking about this fitting. My car is 2 hours away from me, otherwise I'd just look myself to find out.

56E088DE-1855-4A35-AF17-ABD8404E0A41.jpeg

IIRC, I think that there may be a screen at the bottom of the PCV hole in the intake that every few years may need changed. I remember something about using a "dental hook" to pull it out. Someone here with more experience feel free to expand on this. it's doable with the upper plenum out of the way.

there is no screen that I am aware of

Yes use some sensor safe permatex to hold the pcv inside its rubber grommet and some to hold the rubber grommet inside the intake

The foam donut piece is merely a "topper" of sorts, not sure why Ford put it there? once they deteriorate and go MIA I do not replace that part, its not needed.

You can actually get your hand back there and replace/check on the sensor, go from the passenger side. Might be easier of you remove some of the EGR bracketry if you are really having a tough time you can remove the two 18mm nuts that hold your transmission mount down, put a jack under the t case (or trans) and jack it up an inch or so this will give you slightly more room to work back there

Just remember its better to have the PCV valve back there then the distributor!!!!!!!

The rubber PCV grommet is the weak link back there, it shrinks with age and that makes the PCV loose. Always replace that grommet if you have to work on the PCV or the area.

There is a steel mesh screen below the PCV, that never needs replacing, but clean it if it gets clogged up. It's there to help catch oil and drain it back down, bad oil can accumulate on it faster than clean synthetic oil.

No one has input on that fitting I asked about? I'm replacing vacuum lines and want to order the right stuff ahead of time.

No one has input on that fitting I asked about? I'm replacing vacuum lines and want to order the right stuff ahead of time.
I think they all have that same set of lines and connections. I bought a new assembly years ago to get the new hoses and PCV, back then Ford wouldn't sell just the PCV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back