5.0 performance and cross-compatability? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 performance and cross-compatability?

Oversquare

Reaction score
City, State
Wine Country
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 AWD
I recently bought a '00 XLT 5.0 AWD, with the intention of increasing the performance of the motor. Is there a resource that shows the parts spec on the Explorer 5.0 motor compared to the 5.0 motors installed in earlier Mustangs?

Particular questions I'm looking to have answered:

Intake manifold. Is the stock one very good? Are aftermarket intakes for Mustangs a bolt-on, and will they increase HP/TQ? What about the intake "elbow" between the upper and the TB, what size dia is this, and can it be upgraded for more air flow? (I know the TB & MAF can be upgraded to larger diameters, but it wouldn't matter if the elbow is small)

Exhaust. What's the story with the FRPP Explorer headers? When will they become available again? Are they a good performance increase? Are any application specific high flow catalitic converters available? Are the 'cats' a signifigant restriciton in the exhaust?

ECU. I'm looking forward to the user adjustable features with the new Apten Flasher. But has anyone tried the Hypertec Power Programer, and with what results?

Thanks!

-Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock intake is good and not worth replacing unless your making over 400hp. The stock throttle body is 65mm..... i have no idea what size the elbow is (i assume at least 65mm).

A lot of parts are exchangeable with earlier mustangs and then again, a lot of parts are not.

The thing to keep in mind with the 5.0 in the X is it basically has a lot of the high performance goodies already on it. The GT40P Cylinder Heads, the Cobra Intake. The main limitations on it are the headers and the cam.

A lot of members have had great results changing out the Cam to a Ford E-303 Cam and FMS Roller Rocker Arms. Look for a member named "Section525", he's done a fair amount.

Also, honestly, just an open exhaust will really open up the power. The exhaust up to the muffler stock is about dual 2.5". At the Muffler it necks down to a single 2 1/4". I went for a Dual 2.5" in Single 3" Magnaflow and saw great power increases just because of that.

I just got a 2000 XLT 5.0. Do you (or anyone else) have any photos of your exhaust system? I want to open the system up and not have anything that is much louder than stock. Maybe more of and rumble.Hmmmmm...

What are some options out there?

3 chamber delta flowmaster. Either a 3" single or 2.25 duals.

I put the Gibson side swept on there this weekend, nice little rumble. Not too loud.
I has a 2 1/2" mandrel bent tail pipe and seems to flow nice, I bet 3" would be hard to squeeze through the leaf spring. Powerusa.com had the best price and free shipping.

Tom98Sport said:
I just got a 2000 XLT 5.0. Do you (or anyone else) have any photos of your exhaust system? I want to open the system up and not have anything that is much louder than stock. Maybe more of and rumble.Hmmmmm...

What are some options out there?

Drive up here to fredericksburg and you can stare at my exhaust all day long. I have true duals with 2.5 pipes

Here's a couple of pics of mine. Dual 2.5" in Single 3" out magnaflow. Its real deep and thumpy at idle and low RPM, but as you get up to cruising speed its not very noticeable. Also, if you did a side exit instead of dumped under the rear like mine, you would have less exhaust noise as well.

The Tip:
exhaust1.jpg

Another Angle of the Tip, Dumps just before the Rear Axle:
exhaust2.jpg

If interested I can snap some shots tomorrow so you can see how it installs, but it is basically sitting right where the stock muffler sits, using the stock exhaust flanges.

Why do performance threads somehow become hijacked into "what aftermarket exhaust should I buy?"

Come on guys, it's not expensive, and not hard to install. Do a search.

-B

I think the answer to that is simple, most of these performance questions come from first time owners of explorers or first time visitors to this site. Most of them haven't had an exhaust system done and that's one of the easiest, cheapest and most effective modification that can be done to a bone stock explorer.

In response to your question on headers for the X. It appears that there is a new company that is selling headers for the Explorer, you can see more information at the following thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113132

There is word that Ford Motorsports is supposed to be re-releasing an updated version of their headers for the Explorer, but I do not believe that have been released as of yet.

Outside of those two options, the only other option is to have custom headers made. Many people have tried to find Headers that will fit our X's but as of yet, with the exception of the FMS one's, none have fit. They all tend to fit the Passenger side fine, but due to lack of space near the steering shaft, they don't fit the Driver's Side.

Also, I don't believe there are any vehicle specific high-flow cats for the explorer, but from my investigation, the cats aren't really a restrictive spot. They are 2.5" in/out, which is the size of the exhaust from the Collectors on the Headers all the way to the Muffler Inlets. I do know a few guys that have had custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent exhausts put on with and without Cats, but if you are in a state where Smog is a problem, definately go with the Cats.\\

The biggest performance gainer you will find though for the X's is a Supercharger. While it is money, it will get you a ton of power.

Also, just so you know, the 5.0 in the X's is built very well. The difference between it and the Mustang 5.0's is torque. Our engines are designed for lots of Torque and not a lot of HP. On top of that, most of the components are built sturdier then in their Mustang Brethren, so the X 5.0's should last well beyond the life of a normal mustang 5.0.

Good luck with your performance search, the 5.0 AWD X's can definately be some mean beasts if you have the time and money (and patience) for them. Hehe.

Cali' - Thanks for the feedback. I've been building (and racing) cars for 10 years, but never worked with the 5.0. I know it's a popular motor, but have found very little info about it in regards to the Explorer application. I'm just trying to figure out the differences between the X and the Mustang applications.

Thanks for your help!

-Brad

Basically, its the same from the heads down. The main difference is the Explorer is DIS ignition, and the mustang has a distributer the way God intended :D.

As far as parts go, the cam and the stock exhaust are the main limiters. The heads are decent in stock form. You can port the GT-40/GT-40p's and cut them for chevy valves and have enough to support 400hp or more. There are alot of guys running 11's all motor in stangs with built P heads. The intake is a GT-40 lower with a Cobra-ish upper and is good for decent power. Stock throttle body is 65mm and also good to 350 or more.

Headers are the big hold-back. As said, even the FMS headers (if you could find a set) arent that great. I had a set new and never even installed them because i knew it was a waste of time. If you could get a decent set of headers then the sky would be the limit. Headers, built P heads, and even a small cam would make 350hp at the crank.

I just put my FMS headers in and I noticed a MAJOR differance. The only problem is gettign ahold of some. Oh and If you plan on runnign nitrous you need the apten chip as the hypertech will not work.

Getting back to the original question, the elbow is 65mm IO. Basically impossible to open up due to wall thickness. I made my own 75mm elbow from an old explorer elbow (cut flanges off) and welded to a cost 3"ID 90 degree elbow I got off eBay. Finally going for my chip next week. I will take some pictures and post then. It was a pain in the ass to make, but I feel well worth it.

I have seen stock CATS go in the 400HP range. Not a big deal. Drop the rears though.

Todd - I'm interested in the elbow you fab'd up. Can you email me some pics, maybe a "how to"?

Did you notice any performance improvement with the elbow?

Isn't it Aluminum? Do you know how to weld aluminum?

I will, but not till Sunday. I am tied up right now and don't have any pictures. I made it all from Aluminum. I have a the right equipment for welding Aluminum. Only take that and Skill - getting there with the skill!

I will also have to wait until after next weekend to tell you the performance diff. I am tentatively scheduled for Friday/Saturday for a custom SCT chip from Jerry Wrublewski. Cannot wait!

Just a quick heads up. I ran 10.56 with GT40's on a Stang. All these guys are right on. However, don't waste the money (on all the bigger stuff up front) if you are not going to address the header problem first. You can open up the front all you want but, you dont want to force all the exhaust through a straw (the headers). Good luck.

plrs x45 said:
Just a quick heads up. I ran 10.56 with GT40's on a Stang. All these guys are right on. However, don't waste the money (on all the bigger stuff up front) if you are not going to address the header problem first. You can open up the front all you want but, you dont want to force all the exhaust through a straw (the headers). Good luck.

Yeah the factory headers look restictive on the outside but on the inside its like a friggin pea shooter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it is a big no no for a couple of reasons (or can be).

First, it can be due to the fact that exhaust can leak into the cab and kill everyone. I have made sure my X is totally sealed with new Sealing strips all the way around and also had the tip angled so that even at idle, it forces the exhaust away from the Passenger area (at least as much as the stock system did).

In reguards to the legal issues, it technically meets these requirements as well because it is dumped about 6" behind the most rearward door of the X.

I'm sure they could catch me for some reason, but I haven't had any problems, no exhaust leaking into the cab, no cops pulling me over etc...

Back