5.0 tuning | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 tuning

the 98 explorer ecu is a 4 bank ecu same as the 99-04 ford ecu's, the main difference is the ecu clock speed is much slower, I hadn't peeked at the ecu pin out yet but most likely its all the same, once I get the clock speed worked out I suspect the 98 explorer ecu will be no different than the 99-04s

with one difference. can you add a knock sensor into it if its a 5L ecu?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed.

Dechipha,

Where in New Orleans? 70002? 70004?

Curious.

its doubtful that the ecu hardware will support a knock sensor if it didn't come factory equipped, its kind of hit or miss on the eec-v's though, worse case, you enable it in the tune and it doesn't work you simply just go to the junk yard and swap to an ecu that does have the knock hardware present

I'm right in-between 70003 in metairie, well at this very minute im at the sheraton in downtown salt lake city but im supposed to by flying back home in a few hours (I hope)

4.6l

. . . Ive never had any issues tuning over the j3 port? can you elaborate more? The J3 port is the only means of perfectly dialing in a tune, making decimal changes over the obd2 port takes FOREVER when you can simply update the value while the engine is running

I think years ago programmable chips were available that plugged into the J3 port. Some owners had problems with reliability when driving off road.

if your 2003 explorer is a v6 its not going to have a j3 port since its not an intel ecu, the "up to 2004" range that moates specifies applies to the mustang which switched to can bus in 2005, henry started using pre-can ecu's as early as 2000 which is what I have in my 2000 lincoln ls 5spd, its not an intel ecu so it doesn't have a j3 port which means you can't use a quarterhorse on it

your best bet for the 03 explorer would be SCT, they get the strategy files handed to them by ford . . .

I have the 4.6L SOHC but will be replacing it with an Aviator 4.6L DOHC. I haven't seen my PCM yet but the wiring diagrams show three separate connectors so I think it is a NCD-250 hardware type like the one shown below.
PCM1.jpg

Other than SCT, are you aware of anyone that provides datalogging of PIDs and altering calibration constants (tuning)? I don't see how its possible to properly tune without datalogging.

yeah thats not an intel 104 pin EEC-V ecu, your only option is to tune and log over the obd-2 port you can't log through the j3 port on the back of the ecu since it is not equipped with one like you would with a quarterhorse

i always recommend putting a piece of duct tape over the j3 chip, if its good it'll be fine for offroad use no problem, btw, the moates chips have much better quality control, those chips don't have much play in them when affixed to the ecu

I think years ago programmable chips were available that plugged into the J3 port. Some owners had problems with reliability when driving off road.

I have the 4.6L SOHC but will be replacing it with an Aviator 4.6L DOHC. I haven't seen my PCM yet but the wiring diagrams show three separate connectors so I think it is a NCD-250 hardware type like the one shown below.
View attachment 88212
Other than SCT, are you aware of anyone that provides datalogging of PIDs and altering calibration constants (tuning)? I don't see how its possible to properly tune without datalogging.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I've been digging around the last few days at the various DIY tuning options (Quarter Horse, TwEECer, etc) and this seems to be the most in depth discussion at EF. @decipha - Did you end up going further with tuning a 5.0 Explorer ECM (or alternate ECM to use on a 5.0 Explorer)? Short term I'm just dealing with minor changes like tire size, but I'd like the ability to adjust shift points a bit and eventually tune out the 4R70W functions for a manual transmission swap.

Back