5.5" Lift COMPLETE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.5" Lift COMPLETE!

After working on my rig for over a week trying to get the lift finished, I am finally done! I had never done any sort of lift kit before in my life so this sure was a learning experience for me and everyone else that helped out along the way. My girlfriends dad let me use his shop for the lift which made things a lot easier on me since he had all these nice tools to use. In my mind I thought the lift would take us 2 - 3 days to finish... but then we ran into the rivets. After getting those out it was smooth sailing all the way to the finish, besides the pitman arm since it wouldnt come off for a few days... Anyways, I just drove it home and it needs and alignment badly, plus a lengthened driveshaft. So heres the before picture:
406683_53_full.jpg

After:
406683_77_full.jpg

For more pictures and detailed information on the car, please check out my cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/id/vaughnfamcars
I'm very proud of my work and I think my truck looks sweet! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

32 - 33" Kumho Venture MTs. I'm not sure what kind of rim yet...

Looks really good! You should be able to use your stock rims with 32"s or 33's for a while with no problems with your extended R/A's. I would get you some Warrior shackels part # 153 and it'll level out the rear and it will look dang sweet!

Where can I get warrior shackles at? I have noticed that the rear seems lower then the front so correcting that would be good. Are shackles pretty cheap?

Super sweet! I'd wait on the shackles. If the kit you put on was new, the springs will settle down in the front after a while and and should level that puppy out. Again, looks great!

I bought the lift kit brand spankin' new through Rocky Mountain Suspension. Now i just looked up these warrior shackles:
war-114.jpg

And if thats all they are, then that would be super easy for me to weld up for myself. I'll wait and see if the front coils settle in, I'm guessing they will.

Actually the front springs wont settle much but the back will... so the shackles for your ride will probably be a must if you want to level it out. Warrior shackles are the most popular. The back end sag is a common problem... mine did too but the sag isnt as severe as yours. We havent put shackles on ours yet but probabaly will to level it back out.

You can look at the result we got at the addy in my sig at bottom. Good luck.

Now that you are soa you can just ad a block. A 1 inch block would be fine. The only thing i dont like about shackles is how they hang down, Kinda ugly imo.

I agree JTX... I would also go with the block vs the shackles ....although the sag on his looks like it might take more than a 1 inch. Ours sagged a little , that one looks like it sagged a lot.

That looks sweet, cant wait to see it with the tires.

Get your driveshaft done asap.. I blew 3 in 3 weeks after I did my 5.5" on my B2 and finally had one custom made. Your truck looks sweet... needs some big meats though :)

A lot of people here dont lengthen thier driveshaft, but some have had too..
Also how did you do the shock mounts in the rear? Did you use SL's?

Looks great, but time for some 33s :)

JTX said:
...The only thing i dont like about shackles is how they hang down, Kinda ugly imo.

I would have to agree with the shackles hanging down. Now on my Ex it looks O.K. with the factory bumper and hidden hitch. But when I get a custom tire carrier rear bumper, the hitch will go and then the shackles will really be down too far.
5858IM000037.jpg

I never had to lenghten my drive shafts so i wouldnt worry to much.

Back