• Register Today It's free!

5-speed hardiness?

CobraSix

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
I'm contemplating getting rid of my 91 explorer and 'upgrading' to a 93-94 explorer for the 4 wheel ABS and 5 more HP (go me!). Mostly, I'm weighting options between fixing mine which needs about $1500 of repairs (and that's if I do them myself) or going shopping for a slightly newer, with less miles (mines at 320k) version.

However, if I do make the change, I want to go with a manual transmission. I was curious how the stock 5 speed holds up? I'm not a crazy off roader, just need something capable of the occasional tow job, highway driving, and handling snow on roads (which is when I really like manual transmissions). I've never been terribly happy with the automatic slushbox.

Regards,

Slade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I thought. They usually are but wanted to make sure. I'm not sure why, I just prefer manual transmissions in trucks and sports cars.

They are not very good for towing though just because the Explorers aren't setup very well for towing with manuals. What's your gearing and how much do you want to tow? Don't tow anything but the lightest stuff in 5th gear, only 4th. They aren't strong enough for towing in 5th, you'll toast it.

I would have to disagree with techieman33.

The later late `93 to `94 A4LD's are stronger than the M5OD.

Both are inadequate for this application. Ford could have done better.

I broke 3 M5OD's in just under 2.5 years.

I said screw it, and swapped in a 5.0L for a better transmission selection.

Ryan

Most of my towing is well below highway speed and is fairly light. I never tow anything in OD (5th, or OD on an auto). Most are set up to handle it. It's an economy gear, not a working gear.

The M50D is a good transmission if you treat it with civility. I rarely do towing, but when I have, it was never in 5th gear. 231,000mi on the original trans and counting.

For snow and inclement weather, the 4x4 Explorers are great. A set of genuine soft-compound snow tires makes them darn near untouchable in the ice. At low speeds they stick like glue.

Back