50,000 mile service | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50,000 mile service

once again...

...thanks for the great info.

I just decided, the hell with it, i'm gonna change it all and ordered the Amsoil stuff from Gary, who is great guy to deal with by the way.

I got the 75w-140 for the rear and the 75w-90 for the front. I believe that will just about take care of all the fluids.

I also, wanted to run this past you guys....I was talking with my mechanic, who I really trust, and he said to go ahead and do the plugs, but changing the wires was not necessary and he actually advised against it. He said the stock wires on my truck are very good and the aftermarket ones would not hold up as good.

What are your opinions on that?

I like the jacobs electronics wire set,much better than those stock wires.I kep the plugs stock though,motorcraft plats.{I get my best results with them}.

By7 all means do the wires. If you have to skip something, skip the plugs.

Good luck......

I replaced my plugs at 50K miles only because I gelt like it. I didn't have any driveability concerns and the plugs looked new when I took them out. I was replacing the shocks at the same time and since I had the front end jacked up with the tires remove, it was easier doing it then for the relatively low cost for six plugs. I put Motorcraft plugs back in. I could not tell by driving that I replaced them though. But again, my Explorer was running fine to begin with. I have not touched my stock plug wires yet. I have 90K miles on them and still have no driveability concerns. Still get the same mileage as new and no hesitation nor stumbling. If you aren't getting any of that then you will not be able to tell that you put new wires on either other than your wallet will be lighter. If you have a miss, stumble or hesitation then new wires or plugs might help.

Back