• Register Today It's free!

50,000 mile service

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
I'm getting ready to do my 50k mile service next week and could use some advice. Here is what i plan on doing:

tranny fluid and filter
front & rear differentials fluid change
transfer case fluid change
flush coolant and change
fuel filter change

Is there anything else you guys can think of that I may need to do?

My biggest question is....i want the best possible products used in my serivice. What kinds of fluid should I use for my tranny? weight and such? how about gear oil? is synthetic good? what weight/brand?

please post any suggestions you have. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would also change the oil in the engine as well as the filter.

When you do the tranny change, be sure to replace ALL the ATF , not just what is in the pan.

I would recommend going synthetic all around. Contact AgExplorer, he is an Amsoil dealer and is offering some great prices right now, plus he is a good man.

Good luck......

Aldive,

thanks for the advice. I would like to look at some Amsoil products for my Explorer. I already use them in my quad, so I know they are good.

What exactly do you mean by change "ALL" of the ATF. How do I drain the remaining oil if it dosn't come out when you drop the pan?

BTW, I'm not due for an engine oil change yet.

also, what kind of ATF do I use? Is it the same thing I will use for my transfer case or they two different oils? thanks.

This is what my local dealer says to do around 50k

Tune up (as applicable)

Replace spark plugs
Replace distributor cap and rotor
Replace spark plug wires
Replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace PCV valve or orifice and hose
Replace PCV vent hose
Replace crankcase breather filter
Clean throttle body sludge deposits
Remove and clean idle air control motor
Check and adjust minimum air rate
Check and adjust throttle position sensor
Load test battery
Clean battery terminal connections
Perform engine analysis
Scope test
Four-gas analysis
Scan engine control computer and perform self test
Clear adaptive memory and perform idle relearn procedure
Lube, oil, and filter change service
Drain crankcase oil and refill with new oil
Change oil filter
Check underhood fluid levels (as applicable)
Engine coolant
Power steering fluid
Battery electrolyte
Automatic transmission fluid
Brake fluid
Clutch hydraulic fluid
Windshield washer solvent
Check air filter condition
Check crankcase vent filter condition
Check operation of all exterior lights
Check tire inflation and condition
Check under vehicle fluid levels (as applicable)
Front differential
Manual transmission
Transfer case
Rear differential
Lubricate all grease fittings
Inspect drivelines and U-joints
Inspect steering linkage
Lubricate door hinges
Cooling system service
Pressure test cooling system
Drain coolant from block and radiator and save for recycling
Refill system with a 50/50 mixture of new antifreeze and water
Replace drive belt
Replace wiper blades
Align headlamps
Brake inspection
Tire rotation
Check air conditioner operation
Check four-wheel drive operation

ToneDog

dang that's a long list.

my dealer told me that I had 100,000 mile plugs and wires and it was not neccessary to change them. is that not true?

Originally posted by Holty
my dealer told me that I had 100,000 mile plugs and wires and it was not neccessary to change them. is that not true?

The plugs might make 100k but you can bet the wires won't; change em.

Good luck....

also, what kind of ATF do I use? Is it the same thing I will use for my transfer case or they two different oils? thanks.

I have always used Mobil 1 ATF but will probably go with Amsoil next change.

Aldive,
What exactly do you mean by change "ALL" of the ATF. How do I drain the remaining oil if it dosn't come out when you drop the pan?

I take mine to Jiffy Lube and they have a machine that drains/fills the entire system.

There have been posts about doing this oneself, however, I prefer to take it to Jiffy Lube ( or somewhere else ).

Good luck.....

ok, so i'm gonna add plugs and wires to my list. but i don't think my v8 has a distributor cap and rotor does it? also what brand plugs and wires should i look at? i did a search but can't find any info and i'm going to buy this stuff today after work. please help.

thanks for the help. I just really need to know what kind of tranny fluid to use. i want synthetic everything, but i don' know what weight/viscosity to buy?? Also, I do alot of towing so I would like to have the piece of mind by changing the diff's oil also. Once again, i wanna go synthetic, but just don't know what brand or weight to get. thanks for the help.

I am not sure about the 5.0, because it has a 4 speed auto, my 5 speed uses Mercon V.

thanks anyway, you're info was helpful.

can anyone shed some light on this matter. i have done several searches on the site, but can't seem to find a deffinate answer on what to use in my tranny, my diff's, or my transfer case. i have a 3.73 limited slip rearend. however, i don' know about the front. please help.

Your Owner's manual will have a section at the back that will tell you the Ford recomended fluid to use. Just be sure that whatever you get meets the Ford requirements. Your tranny calls for Mercon V, make sure whatever you use meets Mercon V requirements. All of the Explorer automatics built since '97 have called for Mercon V. Your rear differential calls for 75W140 synthetic fluid. Your front differential calls for 80W90 gear oil. Your transfer case calls for regular Mercon automatic transmission fluid (not Mercon III nor Mercon V).

I run Mobil 1 ATF in my tranny and Mobil 1 in my 3.73 LS rear end.

thank you all for the helpful info.

I went ahead and ordered Amsoil from "AgExplorer". I got 16 quarts of the atf. that should do my tranny and transfer case. I decided not to do the diff's. The owners manaul say it is lifetime so i'm not gonna do it. or should i go ahead and do it anyway?

You are correct your rear is synthetic and lubed for life, that is going to be a preference call on your part. For full synthetic it runs about $6-8 a liter and you will need 3 liters total. The front is regular 80W90 and will need to be changed on a regular schedule.

Originally posted by addkev
You are correct your front and rear are synthetic and lubed for life, that is going to be a preference call on your part. For full synthetic it runs about $6-8 a liter and you will need 6 liters total.

Thats a big claim, "lubed for life".

Life of what? You? The rear end? The lube?

Is that for an average driver? Other?

Synthetic lube is chead insurance, I would replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It says it is synthetic for all 5.0 and LS rear diffs.

BTW, I went and read my owners manual and the front is not synthetic like the haynes manual states. That is why I changed my post.

Back