• Register Today It's free!

50-65 Mph Shake!!!

krisnowicki

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
MY explerer has 56000 miles orignal ... but is 12 years old it is a 94.... i am having a huge shake between 50-65 mph what is this is this the raduis arm i hear so much about ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be. I suggest you <SEARCH> and you'll get more info than you care to think about.

It maybe the RA's but I also, along with so many other members on this site have the same issue, I think it has something to do with the rear end. It shakes violently at about 60 all the way to 70 then it smooths out and feels normal again.

a soon as i hit 65 it smooths out any ideas? i tried searching but am getting about 30987570650 results all of wichi seem random any help would be thank ful

dounce your front end as much as possible perhaps a heavy friend can help (you will be outside the car on bumper) get it bouncing good and release the motion steping away from car, watch it closely ,reguardless of shortness of breath, notice how many times it bounces, if it is more then two times replace your shocks. repeat this for rear also.

I tried many things with varying levels of success. However about 2 years ago while working on the shift motor, I removed the large weight attached to the transfer case and forgot to put it back on. My '93 has run fairly smooth at all speeds since then. If you try real hard you can almost feel the shakes may begin but they never do.

krisnowicki said:
a soon as i hit 65 it smooths out any ideas? i tried searching but am getting about 30987570650 results all of wichi seem random any help would be thank ful

They seem random, but it's all in your head. :p
Here's some things to try first:

1) change radius arm bushings
if that doesn't work, go to step 2.
2) get tires rotated and balanced and front end aligned
if that doesn't work, go to step 3
3) check for wheel out-of-round
if that doesn't work, go to step 4
4) check front wheel bearings and ball joints
if that doesn't work, go to step 5
5) check all u-joints
if that doesn't work, go to step 6
6) etc. etc.

When my radius arm bushings were worn I would get a pretty loud clunking going over bumps. But I also had a similar problem as you awhile back but the only exception was my X would shake between 40-50 mph and then smooth out. It turns out that my U-joints were worn and causing the shaking.

Back