• Register Today It's free!

$500+ to fix 00M12??

Steeda90GT

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
I just got off the phone with two dealers, one quoted me $400+ for labor, the other said $500+ for labor. I thought this was only a 2.5 hour job for a dealer?? I read that people on this board were getting it done for $192.

If anyone is from the NJ area, please tell me where you had your 00M12 fixed? I may just do it myself..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah I just recently had mine done. I was quoted 2.5 hrs for the job. You MIGHT be able to convince them not to install the cam chain tensioner if you already had that done previously. that might cut down the time a little bit.. depending on your problem (rattling, or rough idle/cold start problems) you could choose either. the kit comes with the tensioner and the gaskets - i just went ahead and had them install everything in the kit considering they quoted me 2.5 hours and i had them write it down on the paper exactly the cost. mine was 250$.. (50 for the parts) and the rest labor.. i also got an oil change included with that 250.. so it was more like 230 for the whole job - the oil change..

anyway i guess the job depends on how much knowledge your mechanics have.. if they are idiots it will take them longer to complete.. maybe that's the case - or they're trying to screw you.

1-888-268-3673
That's the number to the Ford dealership i got the job done at. it may help to call them and get a quote and bring it to your Ford dealership to compare to. I'm not sure if it will help but it might...

Lastly i've heard from numerous people it's not a hard job, just time consuming if you don't know what you're doing.. there was a great write-up however with step by step instructions if you think you're mechanically inclined enough. i would be very careful though. it could save you hundreds of dollars however considering the parts are only 50$ from ford.

hope this helps

-josh

actually its kind of funny because i remember calling Ford a long time ago about the 00m12 and i remember them quoting me something really high.. but recently when i went in and just bought the parts to do it myself.. i luckily stopped to talk to a mechanic for some reason (which i forgot) and they noticed my parts so i asked him a quick question and he was like "oh make sure you hit some bolt with a hammer/screw driver before you try to unscrew it" bla bla.. so i was like ok well how long does this take.. he was like "oh that's a 2.5 hour job" right after that i was like ok.. you guys can do it then.. write that on paper and i'm outa here lol.. so maybe Ford lies to get some extra money out of that job?

Well when I told the dealer that other people were getting it done for $250 and it only took 2.5 hrs, he said, "That's the old price and time..when it was under warranty" "Now that the trucks are getting older, it may take more time cause bolts break, things stick, blah blah blah"

Obviously this is a bunch of crock. I wonder, did anyone in here get there 00M12 done by an independant mechanic? Seems like its not a hard job, but I only have experience with 5.0L Mustangs.

my truck is a 1997 and the gaskets were original. they are making sh** it up right now. basically they are "assuming" things are going to break so they're charging you more for the anticipation of that.. you gotta be kidding me. i didn't get the job done during the recall period either.. i have 81k on my truck and the recall was up until 72k.. they are feeding you sh**...tell them to call my ford dealer and ask them about it

Steeda90GT said:
Well when I told the dealer that other people were getting it done for $250 and it only took 2.5 hrs, he said, "That's the old price and time..when it was under warranty" "Now that the trucks are getting older, it may take more time cause bolts break, things stick, blah blah blah"

Obviously this is a bunch of crock. I wonder, did anyone in here get there 00M12 done by an independant mechanic? Seems like its not a hard job, but I only have experience with 5.0L Mustangs.
If you're at all mechanically inclined, and it sounds like you are since you've worked on 5.0's, you should do it yourself. I did the 00m12 kit last December in under 4 hours hours. That included a lunch break and a quick trip to Canadian Tire to grab a big mother wrench to loosen the tensioner (don't remember the exact size....1 3/8" maybe?.....not enough working space to use a crescent wrench).
Do a search on this site for the thread that details this kit install. It's quite straightforward.

How are you guys determining when it's time to have this done?

I thought I remember reading here that there was not only a part on the front of the engine but also on the back of the engine by the firewall that needed to be replaced to fix the problem. Is my understanding correct??

Maybe I'll get my confidence up to do this. Heck I just did my buddy's fuel pump (dropped the tank) on his 89 5.0L Mustang in less than 2 hours. I just get a bit frightened with different cars.

So if I buy a Chilton's or Haynes will this install procedure be in it??

Steeda90GT said:
Maybe I'll get my confidence up to do this. Heck I just did my buddy's fuel pump (dropped the tank) on his 89 5.0L Mustang in less than 2 hours. I just get a bit frightened with different cars.

So if I buy a Chilton's or Haynes will this install procedure be in it??
Definitely grab a Haynes manual.

Here's the link that describes the procedure;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61152&page=2&pp=20

There are a number of vacuum lines to disconnect. Just go slow, mark them/take pictures if you think you might forget what goes where, and you'll be fine.

The only minor difficulty that I had was getting the upper intake detached from the EGR tube. You have to move the whole upper intake up and to the passenger side of the vehicle (kind of on an angle) to clear the EGR tube. It was quite a snug fit, so it didn't want to come out very easily.
Other than that, it was surprisingly straight forward.

Good luck.

konaboy said:
How are you guys determining when it's time to have this done?

I thought I remember reading here that there was not only a part on the front of the engine but also on the back of the engine by the firewall that needed to be replaced to fix the problem. Is my understanding correct??
My truck was running like complete crap until it warmed up when the outside temp was below freezing. It was almost stalling. I did a search on "rough cold starts" and the first 5 hits that came up were on the 00m12 kit.

The new seals totally fixed my cold start problem.

My cam tensioner wasn't making any noise, but I replaced the front cam tensioner anyways since I already had everything apart and it came as part of the kit.

Well I called 10 more dealers in my area and they all quoted me crazy prices. The lowest quote I got was $400 for labor. I'll probably just attempt this install myself.

Back