5r55 servo cover stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55 servo cover stuck

sansnom

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer EB
Hello,

I have acquired a 2004 Ford Explorer with transmission issues.

I believe the issue is related to the servo pistons/bores. I decided to see if I could remove them to see if there's any visible problems. I have the snap-ring off for the OD servo cover, but I can't get the cover off. It's really seized on. I have tried: pushing on it with a pry-bar and a block of wood, hitting it with a hammer, heating the casing around the cover and then freeze spraying cover and lastly, driving it around. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any other tricks to get them off? The snap-rings on my covers are badly corroded and were incredibly hard to remove. I'm reluctant to remove the cats, that might allow me more access to pound on it with a hammer, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I don't want to break it.

I was hoping to not have to pull the transmission, but it's starting to look like that's the only option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like dirt and corrosion is holding the cover still in place? Maybe a soaking with penetrating oil and then a wire brush to remove the corrosion would help. Would just lowering the back of the transmission help much?

Sounds like dirt and corrosion is holding the cover still in place? Maybe a soaking with penetrating oil and then a wire brush to remove the corrosion would help. Would just lowering the back of the transmission help much?

I have it soaking with penetrating oil since last night, hopefully that might do something. I took a wire brush and cleaned as much of the corrosion as I could. It is very corroded, the snap-ring was very rusty. I was thinking about lowering the transmission, but I might take the cat off first. I only have about 2 1/2 - 3 inches of space between it and the transmission, so I can't get much in there to work it out. Thanks for the response!

Quick update: I drove it around some more and did a brake stand and revved to the stall, then I did a few WOT 0 to 50 laps. The cover moved out about a 1/4" and it's weeping transmission fluid now. Only thing is it's coming out crooked. I'm going to let the weeping transmission fluid soak around the cover overnight and see if that helps. Looks like it might come out after all!

Update:

I got the cover off. It took some effort. The piston is in good shape and the bore hasn't been sleeved. I was sort of hoping the piston was damaged, but it wasn't. I guess I jumped the gun on that, oh well. I loosened the band adjuster and was able to turn it more than 3 times, it was more like 6 times. I guess the band is broken, which would explain why I don't have 2nd and overdrive. I guess the transmission is coming out now.

...........which would explain why I don't have 2nd and overdrive. I guess the transmission is coming out now.
If that was explained in your first post, we could have saved you that work on the servo.

Good luck.

Back