• Register Today It's free!

5R55E 2-3 flare FIXED!

fgump

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Thanks to those that have been-there, done-that before me, I was able to fix this myself for a total of $270.05.

Background:
2000 XLT SOHC, 5R55E, 88k miles, transmission serviced every 30k, not driven hard, and have only towed one item, my dad's pontoon boat one time last summer for about 30 miles.

Symptoms were: right after Christmas, was driving over to pick up a friend to go for a bike ride. I noticed on the way over to his house that the shift from 2nd to 3rd didn't feel right. He has a '96 XLT, and after I picked him up, and we were riding along, he noticed the shift didn't seem right either. Checked the fluid about 5 miles later, when we got to our ride start. Right on the marks.

Fast-forward 2 weeks: drive about 110 miles away to pick up a new bike. Mostly overdrive speeds, so not much in the way of stop-starts. On the way back, about 1 mile from home, it feels REALLY sluggish shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Check the fluid, good level. I had planned to change the filter soon (last done at 60k miles)

Check this forum, type 2-3 slipping, and find the 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary. What a wonderful resource. Decide, since it's not been doing it too long, that I'll try the easy way out first: check if the gasket's shot, and replace the EPC solenoid.

Last Friday night, I pulled it all down. Had a tough time getting the pan off, as I did NOT want to pull the exhaust off. Decided to loosen the front driveshaft at the transfer case, which gave me enough room to move it all around. Pulled the valve body; sure enough the gasket was blown out at the reverse/low plunger, and on the right side right by the EPC solenoid. The gasket was still intact, but just blown out the side, so I could retrieve all pieces.

Decided to replace:
from Ford dealer
EPC solenoid: XL2Z-7G383-AA $151.28
Ford TSB kit: 3L5Z-7M203-JA $19.27
valve body gasket (which I ended up not needing, as the new style separator plate has one bonded on top and bottom..., so I'll try to return this to Ford)
tax: $11.78

from Fast Parts Network (forum sponsor)
Separator plate assembly (bonded gaskets top and bottom): 1L5Z-7Z490-HA $14.80
Solenoid bracket assembly: XL2Z-7L491-AA $5.68
shipping/handling: $9.49

from Autozone:
8.5 quarts of Castrol Mercon V: $36.11
transmission filter: $16.61

Put it all back together today, tearing the cheap cork pan gasket that came with the Autozone filter, so put the original pan gasket back on and gave it a little more torque. Shifts were spot on right away, and the lingering smoke from the transmission fluid on the exhaust is burning away...:(

So, the clock is running. We'll see how long this one goes from here...

Thanks again Glacier and others who have paved the way for me here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Always happy when one of my threads has helped someone and especially when it saved them money. (I wonder how many trans shops would have told you that you needed a rebuild for $2500?)

I also always suggest that those I have helped and saved a bunch of $$ consider investing the small amount it takes to become a supporting elite member to help us pay for the bandwidth to keep this site up and running. Not a demand, just a suggestion.

And now you are an expert on this part of the process... we just keep getting a deeper and deeper pool of DIY trans folks on here. Welcome to the club.

I am pretty sure that i have a blown vb gasket. 1st gear is not holding back after the tranny gets warm. It will hold back fine when it is cold. That is the only problem that i am having that i know of. Could i just get the new separator plate and the new bracket assembly and fix the problem? I really do not have the cash for the new epc solenoid.

What does the ford tsb kit include, and do i need it? Do you suggest it?

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Always happy when one of my threads has helped someone and especially when it saved them money. (I wonder how many trans shops would have told you that you needed a rebuild for $2500?)

I also always suggest that those I have helped and saved a bunch of $$ consider investing the small amount it takes to become a supporting elite member to help us pay for the bandwidth to keep this site up and running. Not a demand, just a suggestion.

And now you are an expert on this part of the process... we just keep getting a deeper and deeper pool of DIY trans folks on here. Welcome to the club.

Hey Glacier991 - It's not everyday you find a guy like yourself, with such skill in something, given away info like you do. I've been doing more and more researching on the transmission threads you've posted and I have to say it's pretty amazing. I'm sure you've saved a bunch of money for a bunch of people. I'm already elite so I can't do much there but I do like to give credit where it's due.

With that being said, you think you could rebuild my trans for a six-pack? :D

Jsandlin.... you may well. The FORD TSB reuires replacement of the separator plate and installation of some internal parts. It is set forth verbatim on the first page of the 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary, with part numbers. Total cost of just the TSB parts is about $30.

Jakee, thank you for the kind words. 6 pack eh ? tempting offer. (g)

fgump, how long did it take you do the whole job? Survey says: 4-6 hours at a leisurely pace, from what I gather. I've just ordered all of my parts, had the flare since before Christmas, and decided to just buy another car instead of driving that one. Anyway, just wondering what I should plan for time wise...

Glad to see that you got it fixed! I'm not doing the EPC at first. Hopefully, my problem will be cured, that way we can get a better idea of what exactly is causing the flare.

Took way too long since local dealer didn't have all the parts...

fgump, how long did it take you do the whole job? Survey says: 4-6 hours at a leisurely pace, from what I gather. I've just ordered all of my parts, had the flare since before Christmas, and decided to just buy another car instead of driving that one. Anyway, just wondering what I should plan for time wise...

Glad to see that you got it fixed! I'm not doing the EPC at first. Hopefully, my problem will be cured, that way we can get a better idea of what exactly is causing the flare.

It took me about 2 hours to get the old VB out of the truck:
  • up on ramps
  • remove the front driveshaft (rather than the exhaust)
  • loosen and drain the pan
  • remove the pan
  • remove the VB
Took me about 3 hours to get it all back together:
  • reassemble VB with TSB kit (which means remove the EPC spring and puck and filter screen, put in the new blowoff valve in the VB)
  • new separator plate with hole #50 deleted
  • new EPC, new bracket
  • figure out which bolt goes where in the VB (the Ford FSM is a great resource there!)
  • torque up VB in proper sequence
  • install filter
  • install pan (careful with the gasket, had to reuse the original since the silly cork one on the Autozone filter ripped)
  • torque up the pan bolts
  • install the front driveshaft
  • fill the trans
  • roll the truck down off the ramps and get a level fill before starting the motor
  • then fill it properly while running in park

Be prepared to burn ATF off the exhaust for a day or two...

My suggestion? If you're going to be in there, you might as well replace the EPC. It took me 8.5 quarts of Mercon V to refill the trans. At $4/quart, that's $34 just in fluid that I'd hate to do over if I had to pull the pan again. Plus, as others have said, do you really want to have two ATF showers? :)

New occurrence over the weekend...after 4-5 miles driving (100 miles from home), and coming to a stop, I heard a sound like a bearing being spun from the area of the transmission. Lasted for 6-8 seconds. I took the transmission out of drive, put in neutral, and the noise remained. Revved the engine slightly, and it went away, and hasn't come back since. Left there and headed even further away from home, climbing mountains of NC, still with no problems. Any thoughts? Fluid is at the proper level.

Did you torque the VB using an inch lb torque wrench when you did your JOB ?

VB torque

Did you torque the VB using an inch lb torque wrench when you did your JOB ?

Yep, sure did, every single bolt, with my Craftsman dial inch-lb wrench. It's not slipped, missed a shift, or flared since, and the noise has not returned since Sunday. Of course, I've only driven it on Sunday and Monday of this week.

curious.... not sure what to make of this one.

ps. Good job with the torque wrnech!

pps. You missing squirrels? A dead squirrel is known to make those kind of noises when it died in your tranny ot Transfer case.

Back