5R55e after rebuild codes/ This is the one with the milled down valve body. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55e after rebuild codes/ This is the one with the milled down valve body.

1st Lt Dan

Reaction score
City, State
southern Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
1997 4.0 SOHC.

I am the one who rebuilt unit. I milled down the valve body due to a No 4th of 5th during dynometer test. Dyno'd second time and valve body and trans worked fine.

The garage put the tranny back in. Replaced a bad battery as well. The unit was dyno tested so it shifts and runs fine.

Now the lady has her dash check engine light coming on. I took our code scanner over and came up with a 1762: ss3/ss4/od band code. I can clear the code and test drive and it stays off. Less than eight miles of driving highway and city.

The lady drives it and the light will come back on and stay on. Same code when I scan for code. Clear it and it stays off until she drives it out into the county to go home.

Doesn't shift odd or have any signs mechanically that anything is wrong. Her engine has no codes yet it idles odd and may be related to a weak throttle position sensor or idle air control motor carboned up some. Almost like a vacuum hose issue. I'll look at it this week. I may just keep it a few days and test drive it.

I can't think of any other issues. It test drives good. I haven't ever been in one of these. The rebuild I carried out had the following done: new EPC, new bands, superior shift kit, new torque convertor and master rebuild kit.

To me it shifts alittle softer than I'd prefer yet I don't drive Explorers and have no way to know how it was shifting before. This was a carry in rebuild.

Any sugesstion on the code 1762 is appreciated. I may have to have her to take it to Ford to diag test her vehicle now that it is running. Thanks for your help and advice.

Back