5R55E - L keepers in valve body during rebuild. Need advised please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E - L keepers in valve body during rebuild. Need advised please!

98EdBomber

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E.Bauer 4.0(RWD)
Relating to this post. 4r55e Valve body L retainers

On the diagrams posted on post #9 the shift solenoid #2 has an L keeper and I can quite get it through my thick skull where the keeper is actually supposed to sit. Does it sit between the small gap on the spool valve on in the larger gap?

I pushed it in but does it mean until the spring compresses all the way or should it actually hit a stop in that bore? Its confusing to say the least. I think I have it in the gap at the end of the spool valve which may be wrong.

Anyone have a clarification on this?

I am having issues after my rebuild and the trans not wanting to shift out of 1st gear. Fluid is full. New torque converter. Followed the astg to the T.

I did however disassemble all the valves from the valve body in order to clean it out. The trans shifted fine before the rebuild. The reason for the rebuild is forward planet bearing went out and while driving i heard a loud grinding. But I replaced the planet and a couple other bearings and went ahead and did the bands and the frictions while I was at it. Went by the book adjusting the bands. 10lb-ft on od band then 2 turns out. 2.5 turns out for intermediate band.

The rebuild wasnt too bad as far as the parts in the case. But the valve body cleaning got a little crazy when it came to placing the L pins. The service manual doesnt say anything about how to drop them in just an approximation on what valve they slide into. Not very detailed.

So during my research i found the above post that shows where they go but i still am not sure where SS#2 L pin goes. This perhaps could be the cause of my shifting problem. Any ideas???

I figured nobody would respond but I solved the problem. Thanks for reading...

Back