5r55e Foward Clutch piston problem... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e Foward Clutch piston problem...

Reaction score
City, State
West Hills, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0L
I'm right in the middle of rebuilding my 5r55e. Forward clutch pack was completely cooked, the rest of the trans was in pretty good shape. I have never rebuilt a transmission before so this is foreign soil for me, so to speak.

The reverse and intermediate drums were no problem to rebuild but the forward is not cooperating at all. the piston will not seat completely into the drum itself. And when Install the six steels, six friction plates, and pressure plate they sit flush with the drum assembly and not recessed as they should be.

Anyone care to make a suggestion as to why this might be? I may just replace it. I found a few on eBay ranging from $25 to $55. Its just that it is going to take some time to get here and the Explorer has been in my Father in Laws garage for two weeks already and he wants it out. Telling him another 4 or 5 days before I get the part wont go over well.

Thanks in advance,

JS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The piston is tight to get back into the drum, you will just have to push pretty hard. Obviously use some grease for the seals and the drum before installing the piston.

Should it be more difficult than the two other clutch assemblies? If so, then I may be okay. If it should be the same as the other two (coast clutch and intermediate clutch) then I definitely have a problem with the drum and/or piston. It was subjected to quite a bit of heat. The frictions in this clutch assembly were completely worn away to metal prompting this overhaul to begin with.

Yes its a tighter fit, it uses different type of seal. its not a lip seal like the others. Make sure the seal surface in the drum is clean and not damaged, use some fine sand paper or scotchbrite to clean it up. A thick grease rather than oil works better for things like this. Push it down a little at a time while going around.

Okay thank you very, very much. I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Just had the same problem. I polished the bore with some metal polish and it went in quite easy. It just jammed before I polished it. Can't get the piston to move with 20psi of air though as it mentioned it should in the book with the springs in place. The other pistons move sweetly with the air.

Back