• Register Today It's free!

5R55E swap

knowledge_sponge

Reaction score
City, State
Geyserville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
First off, sorry if I didn't post this in the right place or post it right. It's my 2nd post. I have a quick question in regards to swapping out my trans. I have a 98 Explorer Sport V6 and I'm replacing my trans with one from a 98 Explorer 4door V6. So basically i'm swapping a 5R55E for a 5R55E and from what I've gathered it should be a straight forward swap. BUT, as i'm reading the ATSG service manual it's telling me that when it comes to the Intermediate brake and Direct clutch drum the EFI's clutch pack has 4 each and the SOHC has 5 each when it comes to steel and friction plates. I have the OHV, so do I need to replace this drum or clutch pack?

heavier duty

I'm not sure about this but I think there are more plates in the clutch pack to accomodate the higher horsepower of the SOHC V6 (205) compared to the OHV V6 (150). You shouldn't have to change anything and will end up with a slightly heavier duty transmission.

Thats what I was hoping to hear since I treat it like the beast it isn't! Thank you for the quick reply.

Back