5r55e no reverse and no low engine braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e no reverse and no low engine braking

softnfat98

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger 4x4
98 ranger 4wd 5r55e trannie. Did the valve body TSB's Seperator plate and blow off valve. When I removed the valve body I had gasket missing at the Low/reverse servo, so I thought I had this problem whipped. No go still no reverse and no engine braking in 1st. Other than those issues this tranny runs great! Could the low/reverse servo piston seal cause this? Should I have installed the superior shift kit? Thanks for any help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I had the problem before. Thats why I did the TSB's. Like I said I found missing gasket material at the reverse servo and thought that was the problem. No other work that I can tell. There was hardly any metal on the pan magnets. Also it has every gear including manual 1st and 2nd.

Also can I replace this tranny with a 5r55e out of a 2wd 98 explorer, can I just swap out the tailshaft housing with the transfer case?

You have to swap output shafts the 2wd output shaft is longer than 4wd output shaft, or the other way around....BrooklynBay would know, I've never taken a 2wd tranny apart.

I think I have read every other no reverse thread and they all just kind of end. I am dropping the pan again to see if I have issues with the low/reverse servo. If thats a dead end I guess I will remove the valve body again and check out the 205 bore as suggested in another thread. Would like to know what the no 1st manual engine braking means to me in this situation!
Because I read some thing about jet engine mechanic in another thread I will ad this. I am what is now called an "Aerospace Propulsion Technician" (jet engine mechanic). Most jet engine maintenance is basic. Pull a part replace a part. If you can read and have simple mechanical and troubleshooting skills you have it whooped.
I have a coworker that tried an auto trans rebuild and it failed. He tore a seal. Only thing about aircraft maintenance is at 35,000 ft you dont get second chance to get it right!!!

You have to tear a 2WD transmission apart to swap the rear tail shaft from a 4WD into it. You would have to open the whole thing up to replace a rear sprag, so either way it's a job to rebuild it.

BBay

I take it you are convinced it is the rear sprag? Just to reiterate, it drives fine in all gears but in manual 1st there is no engine braking and then the no reverse.
Does the fact that there is no engine braking bring you to that conclusion? I read alot of threads before I started asking questions and was sure the blown out gasket at the low/reverse servo was my problem.
How can I tell for sure it is the rear sprag broken. I dont want to waste anymore time chasing my tail!
Thanks for the help!

Back