5R55E no reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E no reverse

Clives

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4.0
I have a 1998 4.0 ltr sohc with a5r55e trans.
My question is I have lost reverse gear vehicle drives ok in all forward gears auto 4*4 high 4*4 low but has no reverse at all, this was a sudden failure their was a slight noise a partial lock up when this happend and now their is a light grinding noise when reverse is selected
Any ideas????
Thanks Clive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you isolate the location of the grinding noise?

5r55e

It appears to be coming from the back of the box possibly transfer box I intend to pull the transfer box late tomorrow and have a look but unfortunately the manual that I have is about as useful as a chocolate frying pan
Thanks Clive

That's why I was asking. The loss of reverse is usually not something caused by someting that would grind in the tranny. I suspect a Transfer case issue myself, but on those I do not claim to be a guru.... just an inquisitive idiot.

IzWack or GiJoe might chime in here. <hint>

Me, I suspect TC not trans. Just a suspicion.

Try looking at the 4405 Transfer Case Diary in the stickies. Along with your manual it might be a better help....

If the transfer case is going to Neutral on reverse, then yeah that would cause a grinding noise as the gears' teeth are being chewed off against each other. Draining and filtering the oil would probably flush out most of the broken teeth

Thanks

Thanks Guys I will make a start tomorrow and let you know what I find.
By the way any ideas where I can get some ideas of the standard times for these jobs.
Thanks Clive

"these jobs" is a little vague. We do not yet know that the task is. It COULD be a Transfer case rebuild. Or ???

Well some good news the transfer box is OK
The down side is the trans is not so good the end of the low/reverse servo looks as though it's been through the wars pitted and chipped + the sump magnet looks like grey slurry (really fine filings)
Don’t know what im going to do now maybe a s/h trans maybe an overhaul

I think you're correct but that gray slurry on the magnet is normal. It exists throughout the entire drivetrain -- in the transmission, the transfer case, and the axles.

You *might* get away with just replacing the low/reverse servo... and yes the gray gunk is not abnormal.

The "grinding noise" ....was that a one time thing? Or is it still present? I am wondering where the pieces or metal went when the servo rod point broke on you.

Back