5R55E questions and this seems to be the place | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E questions and this seems to be the place

Dweano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford Ranger
First off...New member here. Hello!
Second, disclaimer...I have a Ranger, not an Explorer
Third, I mostly hang out on therangerstation and Ranger-forums

Fourth...down to business. I had a 4R55E with 190,000 then put big old 33's Toyo Open Country's on it (heavy!) with 3.73 gears. I finally regeared to 4.56s but the damage was done...and one day it blew up.

So I am going to put in a 5R55E in it. I have a used one with 130,000kms (not low, but I got it for cheap and it should be in good shape, it was out of an Explorer)

Currently my Ranger is down to only an engine, tranny is out and everything. Before I put the 5R55E in I am just wondering what I should do to pimp out this tranny and make sure that I have a long lasting tranny (no I am not going to swap in a manual, too much work :D )

1st question: is there things I should replace while it is out/while things are getting taken apart? Main seal? Torque Converter seal? Etc?

2nd: After market stuff...what is worth getting? I eventually wanna get a CVB valve body (best I heard...worth it? What does it do?...anything else? Shift kits? My old transmission used to take awhile to engage. Like two seconds from putting the level into drive or reverse before it would engage...is there something that can fix that?

3rd: Check this out: http://sporttracclub.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=989

3A: Basically adding in an external cooler and a oil filter in line to get a better amount of filtration and cooling? My lines and heat exchanger thing is probably not squeeky clean...and it sounds worth doing? where should I get parts?

3B: The thermostat bypass sounds good to me but I do not understand it? Haha

4: What all should I do while it is out? I am going to extend the breather tube I believe and hopefully do the cooler and new lines and oil filter...add a magnetic drain plug?

I am sure I will have more questions as I am in the middle of the project. I haven't been getting any help from other places then I found this place and I was like Wowie so much transmission knowledge!! Hopefully you guys can help

Dweano

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! A larger transmission cooler, magnetic drain plug, and an external filter are very good to add. Do you live in a cool climate? If so, you might not need to add the thermostatic cooler bypass. As for the type of modifications to the valve body, it depends on the type of driving you do (towing, off roading, stop & go driving, etc). We have a lot of sticky threads that I recommend you read before you tear apart the transmission.

Saskatchewan, Canada :thumbsup: Thermostat one may not be needed

Type of driving: Daily driver mixed in with off roading sometimes. No towing. I just figure the valvebody might help with shifting and tranny life and such. I do plan on getting an aftermarket tuner which is supposed to help with shifts and such.

I will read the stickys tomorrow. There seems to be so much knowledge here. I love it

Also I am kinda wondering since it is a used tranny with who knows what kind of history...is it good to change some soleniods or something? Ideally I will prolly just take off the pan, change the filter, then new gasket and put the pan back on.

Another question. Band adjustment. Should it be done? 130,000kms and who knows if it has been done or not. Also...how to do it? Turn the screw things on the side? I've always wondered how you know when you have done it enough or too much. Alright. Done with the questions. Bedtime. Six comes way to early

Alright I have skimmed over quite a few and here are my revised questions:

I am going to extend the breather hose up higher, is it ok to just use normal braided pvc hose? I am thinking I may put some some of filter on that, just in case dirt or something gets in it

I also am going to add in a aux cooler and a remote oil filter. I plan to put the oil filter after the radiator heat exchange and after the external filter, right before the fluid returns to the transmission. Sound good? Also I plan to mount it in vertically? Sound good?

May or may not add in a magnetic drain plug. Drilling and welding on my pan sounds like something I am not sure I want to do. And I will always be scared it will wriggle loose Haha

Another question...what kind of lines should I use on the whole system? Steel lines...or high pressure high temp hose? Then what kind of fittings? NPT sounds good, but I am not sure how they work and such. Rubber hose with clamps? NPT uses screwed together fittings right? That sounds secure but then all the stuff (filter, cooler) I get would need those fittings as well...right?

Brown wire mod I don't need because I have a good transfer case shifting system and stuff.

Valve bodies...now there is something complicated. I think I may leave the stock one in there for now and maybe mess with that stuff in the future? Or should I add some sort of kit now...or do the kits and a CVB do the same thing? I am still somewhat confused by Valvebodies and shift kits and what they all do and what overlaps. I know how enginges work, and I know how diffs work, but transmissions still kinda confuse me

True. So does the stock transmission have 3/8 NPT Female connections? Then the lines on the truck have 3/8 NPT male fittings? Is that research correct? So I would also want to get a cooler and oil filter mount with 3/8 NPT fittings? Then what...make my own hose and run it all? I looked on princess auto and they have fittings...maybe I will ask around next time I go to the city

To cap your vent hose, put a panel retainer in the end of it. For valve body, use Central. Then you shoudn't need a shift kit. The plug is a good addition. Also you could get a cooler flush kit, it comes with an in-line magnetic filter.

Cap the vent hose? Isn't the vent hose for...venting? Haha

It will breathe just fine with a panel retainer in there.

My dad is worried that tranny oil may not flow through the lines and filter when it is cold out. Is this a valid concern?

It has nothing to do with the outside temperature. The built in valve will open when the fluid gets hot. It will take a little longer to open if the vehicle is cold from sitting outside in a cold climate.

Thats what I was thinking. And then once the valves open there is no way the fluid in the lines would be so thick it wouldn't flow right? My dad is telling me a horror story of how once when he was a kid his brother was driving a van and it was so cold outside but the tranny fluid couldn't/didn't flow and the tranny wrecked itself because the fluid got hot but yet the fluid in the lines was so cold it didn't flow...I can't really see this happening tho?

And even tho it is an engine oil filter that I will be using tranny fluid should flow through it just fine right? I was under the impression it should be fine, my dad is filling me with doubts tho! Haha

Ok so I coughed up the money and got a remote oil filter mount (60 bucks...gotta love Canada) and I am going to get a tranny cooler (120 bucks...once again, gotta love Canada) anyways...the cooler has 3/8 barb fittings I believe. The stock lines are 3/8 lines correct?

Only problem is the filter mount takes 1/2 npt males. So I should get a 1/2 NPTM to 3/8 barb right? I have looked but those seem to not exist!!! Can any Canadian point me in the right direction?

I don't have to filter housing in my possession yet. It got ordered, but I do not believe it came with any of that. I will check Home Depot out tho. Ebay would be a great place to go for all of this stuff but I am sick of buying "cheap" things from the States off Ebay, then waiting three weeks to get it and paying customs and duty fees and taxes and blah blah...I am just cracking down and buying stuff here :( I'll look around next time I get to the city. Slipping high temp 3/8 hose over those fittings and then clamping them should be good right?

Thanks for all the help BrooklynBay. I do appreciate it as transmission stuff is not my most knowledgeable area

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back