5r55e stuck in forward after rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e stuck in forward after rebuild

turbocoop

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer
I just rebuilt the 5R55E out of my 01 2wd explorer, it wasnt shifting into OD so I figured I would go ahead and give it a full rebuild while it was out. I replaced the clutch packs and steels, rebuild the valve body with a transgo kit(with help from this forum), and replaced the EPC+TCC solenoids plus installed a brand new torque converter. Now that I re installed the transmission and filled it with fluid, it shifts through the ranges fine like before, but now it is constantly engaged in forward no matter what range I am in (P,R,N,D,1). They dont all feel the same though, in park I can feel that the engine and trans are linked when I rev, but it doesnt jerk forward like it does when I am in any other gear. The range selector control box on the side of the trans is fine, and its adjusted correctly, but for some reason I cant shift all the way down into 2nd gear. The pump is working because I can feel the lines heat up by the cooler... Does anyone have any ideas on what I might have messed up? Ive rebuilt transmissions before but this was my first ford. I took my time, used the ATSG manual, adjusted the bands according to specs, made sure to clean the hell outta the VB... I dont know what I couldve done wrong, please give me some ideas guys. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright nevermind, Im an idiot and I forgot to put the range selector pin inside the spot in the manual valve so the manual valve wasnt moving, it was just stuck in low gear (1st)...

Now that I fixed that it shifts and drives fine in all gears except reverse, there is no reverse at all. Im hoping its not the low/reverse band, and it shouldnt be because low gear works, correct? Anyone have any ideas? Ive only driven it about a mile, Im gonna go further today, maybe it just needs to be put through the gears a few times.

I drove it for about 20 min this morning, the "od off" light started blinking once I was at 65mph for about 5 min, which is the reason I rebuilt it to begin with, so I am not very pleased right now. It seems to work fine other than that and the no reverse. I dont understand why the OD light would be blinking, I replaced the TC, the TCC solenoid, all 3 bands, the VB gaskets (it was blown out in one spot). Basically everything that wouldve caused the OD light problem and more... Im stumped now, I can live with the OD light because the trans isnt slipping, but I need to get reverse back.

I figured it out, the low/reverse band must have shifted out of position while I was assembling it, I just had to drop the servo and stick a pick up in there to move it into place. I now have reverse again... Still dont understand why my OD off light blinks when im in OD though, weird ass transmission

Get the code read, torque converter may not be locking up.

Yeah I was thinking about that, can any transmission place do it or do I have to take it to the Ford dealer? Any other way to check if its locking up or not? What rpms should I be at in OD at say 65 or 70MPH?

So Ive confirmed that when the OD OFF light is blinking I have no OD. I took a pic of the cluster at 60mph with no OD light and it was at 2150rpms, and with the OD light blinking at 60 it was at about 2450. That doesnt seem like much of a difference though. I dont see ow this can be an intermittent problem, it kinda makes me think its an electrical thing.

300 rpm difference is most likely no converter lock up. Get the codes read, it will be something like p0741.

No lock up can be things like a bad converter, valves is the valve body worn, converter seal on the pump stator, tcc solenoid. Rarely is it a solenoid, and probably not the converter if you replaced it.

Check these valves in the valve body, I don't mean check to see if they are sticking, I am referring to worn out bores that the valves are in. Fixing these valves require buying the tools and reamers, it may be cheaper to replace the valve body with one that has been tested or already repaired.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/37947-07K.pdf

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/37947-09K.pdf

Ok thanks for the info. I just thought of something crazy- its my moms explorer and she had the engine replaced last year after my brother hydrolocked it- she had some shade tree mechanic replace it cause I was in Afghanistan, if he put in an older engine from a 4r55e explorer, he wouldve had to replace the PCM too I assume, could it be that the PCM doesnt have the signal for TCC lockup? The only thing about that is that it seems to lock up sometimes so if that were the case it wouldnt lock up at all ever right? When I had the VB apart I removed some of the valves and they all were in great shape from what I could tell

It should have lock up no matter which computer you are using. It seems like it has lock up until it gets hot, this would be a symptom of a leak some where in the lock up circuit. The fluid gets hot and thin, the leak gets worse and the drop in pressure causes the converter to release.

The most common places for leaks for lock up is the converter with a cracked apply piston or seal inside the converter, the valve body with worn valves and or the valve bores, the valve body gaskets and the seal on the end of the pump stator.

This is a worn bore in a valve body, the valve may not have a scratch but the bore wears on one side and causes fluid to leak past the valves because the hole is no longer round. It can be hard to detect and you have to know where to look to see the wear.

Same thing that goes on with the servo bores on the 5R55S.

bore wear.jpg

Valve wear.jpg

Ok Ill take a look at those 2 valves when I remove the VB again. I dont think I removed those when installing the shift kit parts so maybe I missed the wear. I agree with what you say- it would make sense that it only doesnt lock up after it gets hot if its cause of valve wear. Thanks for the help

T'Coop,
I did the same thing with the shifter after rebuilding my 5r! I was so disappointed, then I slept on it and figured it out. Felt stupid for doing that, but its my first 5r, and only my second tranny. Now, I have the same issues, no reverse & no OD. My first guess was the reverse band dislodged when I dropped the tranny. Then I read the same band was used for reverse as for 1st manual. My 1st manual works fine but no reverse. I also have no flashing OD light, but at speed, when I turn the OD off, nothing changes. When you get it figured out, let us know here.
Gator

T'Coop,
I did the same thing with the shifter after rebuilding my 5r! I was so disappointed, then I slept on it and figured it out. Felt stupid for doing that, but its my first 5r, and only my second tranny. Now, I have the same issues, no reverse & no OD. My first guess was the reverse band dislodged when I dropped the tranny. Then I read the same band was used for reverse as for 1st manual. My 1st manual works fine but no reverse. I also have no flashing OD light, but at speed, when I turn the OD off, nothing changes. When you get it figured out, let us know here.
Gator

I did figure it out dude, read a few posts back. It was the lo/rev servo band that fell out of place. As for the OD light, I think its just the worn valve because I replaced everything except the valve body. I just dont take the truck on the interstate and I have no problems

So no O/D. At least you got half of it figured out dude.

The OD works fine as long as it doesnt go on the interstate, I guess it only has problems when the pressure is high and the fluid is hot. I gave the truck to my mom and she just drives it around town, she says it has been fine ever since I rebuilt it.

I have the ATSG manual that I used for the rebuild if anyone is interested, PM me if you want it and you can just pay the shipping. I think it cost me $20 or $25 new but I have no use for it now.
2014-01-20171546_zpsb21ae637.jpg

Oh, that's strange. Glad you got it figured out. Wish I had that manual before I started into this mess.
Gator

Back