FAT CAT

meaty beaty big & bouncy
Reaction score
City, State
Baja California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Beautiful Baja - Trip Report - long!

Last weekend I met up with some of the folks from the Rubicon Owners club & joined them for a 3 day adventure along the Pole Line Road in Baja Mexico. This old road was built in WW2 to connect the cities of Ensenada and San Felipe by telephone to act as an early warning service in case of a submarine attack in the Sea of Cortez.

These first three shots show us airing down at the trailhead, sunset at the first nights campsite, and the next morning’s sunrise overlooking the wash where we camped.

Attachments

• Meeting-Point.jpg
    Meeting-Point.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 397
  • Sunset-Camp.jpg
    Sunset-Camp.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 402
  • Camp-sunrise.jpg
    Camp-sunrise.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 411

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These next ones show the early sunrise in the desert & us starting up the Summit Run. This is a very tight Jeep trail & all the Rubicon guys were impressed to see an Explorer right behind them the whole way up.

Attachments

• Summit-Run-2.jpg
    Summit-Run-2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 400
  • Summit-Run.jpg
    Summit-Run.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Desert-Sunrise.jpg
    Desert-Sunrise.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 409

A nice old Ranger on 35’s that had no trouble on any of the trails. I brought my 13 year old boy & two of his friends & they had a great time on the trip. Of course the PS2 was heavily used! The Jeeps flexed on this rock, so I had to as well :cool:

Attachments

• Ranger.jpg
    Ranger.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 403
  • Boys.jpg
    Boys.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Flex.jpg
    Flex.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 388

Here is the view from the top of the summit run. Coming back down was a lot easier than going up! In the 2nd. pic, you can see the road we would follow south.

Attachments

• Summit-Run-Back-2.jpg
    Summit-Run-Back-2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 390
  • Summit-Run-back.jpg
    Summit-Run-back.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 387
  • View-from-Summit.jpg
    View-from-Summit.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 368

The ride South took us through a lot of arroyos and washes that were filled with good sized rocks. I really missed having skid plates here as a couple times I slid off moving rocks & landed on the torsion bars. The rear shock mounts also grabbed a lot of rocks.
I joked with the Rubicon guys & said “you Jeep guys have it all wrong, climbing over rocks & stuff, us Explorer guys just hit ‘em real hard & push them out of the way ;)

Attachments

• Wash-Rocks.jpg
    Wash-Rocks.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Wash-Rocks-2.jpg
    Wash-Rocks-2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 434
  • Jeep-Flex.jpg
    Jeep-Flex.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 400

The next day, we woke up to tackle a hill called Basketball Hill. This was some of the most technical driving of the trip. The Rubicon guys could just flick a switch & activate their lockers as needed. My locker is still acting as a paperweight at home so I had to make due with the limited slip. I found myself holding the brake a little & giving it enough gas to climb the rock, and then let off the gas fast, as the truck wanted to jump to the next rock. I think after I install the new gears & the locker it will be a lot easier to cross stuff like this, as it was I could smell the tranny cooking from the strain. Coming down the backside of basketball hill, off in the distance you see some black hills with sand around the base; this is the Northern most part of the Sea of Cortez.

Attachments

• Basket-Ball-Hill.jpg
    Basket-Ball-Hill.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 387
  • Basket-ball-hill-backside.jpg
    Basket-ball-hill-backside.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Basket-Ball-Hill-backside-2.jpg
    Basket-Ball-Hill-backside-2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 387

Here we are in the mud flats at the top of the Sea of Cortez. This trip had a little of everything you’ll run into out there. This area used to be filled with water, but because of the demand on the Colorado River, it’s been slowly drying up. The last pic is of my secluded camp site in San Felipe. The next day we drive back to Ensenada then up to Rosarito Beach & Home.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 380
  • San-Felipe-Camp.jpg
    San-Felipe-Camp.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 397

The Good: Before the trip I installed my new Rancho 9000’s, WOW what a difference! Before, with the stock shocks, at any thing over 45MPH if I hit a bump the truck would bounce to the left or right. With the new shocks, the ride was greatly improved, and I really liked being able to lower the firmness for the washboard sections of the trip and firm them up to control the bouncing when we were crawling over the rocks.

The bad: Along with the new shocks, I installed the in-cab controller. I loved the ability to control the firmness of the shocks on the fly, but with all the t-fittings and controller connections and a connection at each shock, tracking down the little air leaks is a royal pain. The system would slowly leak air and change the settings about 1 notch every 20 minutes, so we had to keep charging it up during the rough parts.

I also don’t like my new Warrior sway bar disconnects. They are very clunky sounding when connected going over the smallest bumps. It is also nearly impossible to re connect them! The two end fittings are at an angle when you lower the sway bar into place & have to try to fit them into the center tube. Then you get to try to line up both sides at once… I’m resigned to taking off the top nut then sliding the top bolt up into the sway bar & putting on the nut & tightening it down. I think I might try a big wing nut up there to make it easier.

The ugly: I thought there would be more carnage on the underside, but the truck held up very well. Things will only get better after I install the new skid plates. The worst damage happened as we climbed out of the last wash. We had built up a bit of speed to make the climb and just as we cleared the top, a tree branch smashed into the Surco roof rack. This cause the whole unit to get jammed back at an angle and the stock roof rack tracks on the truck got ripped out at the right rear & the front left. We strapped it down & kept going but I think I might have to replace the whole thing.

MVP: I was very happy with the Xterrains. These tires did great during the rains we had out here last month & everything turned to mud...they pulled me through just as well as my BFG MT's. During this trip, aired down to 17 lbs. they rode great and handled everything I gave them. The sidewalls took a lot of abuse & didn't flinch. They also provided some super traction going up the steep loose climbs.

Soundtrack: America's - A Horse With No Name, of course :)

For more on this trip check out the reports at www.rubiconowners.com and http://forums.bajanomad.com/

very nice pictures. looks like you guys had a lot of fun. breath-taking

Great trip report! Did you get to meet Ken Cooke? ;)

Great writeup!

Looks like a lot of fun! Both the scenery and your truck look very good. :thumbsup:

Chris,

Thanks for the great trail summary. That was an amazing trip that I'd like to do again in December. This has to be my favorite trail to date with all of the variety of terrain you have to cover. The rocks and sand just about beat you up by the 3rd day! :D It was great meeting you, your son, and his little friends.

-Ken

Pole Line II

Chris

Both Paul and myself enjoyed meeting you and your sons and friends. It was a great trip into Baja. I must say your Exployer performed extremly well. I am very impressed. The PIC's are beautiful. Thanks for placing this out here for all of us to see.

Jim ;)

Great pics! That X is almost too pretty to be on the trails.

Cool trip report and thanks for sharing the pics!

On day #2, we drove up a Mtn. connecting the desert floor with the Ojos Negros region. This was a steep, rocky trail which required 4Lo, clearance, and a working ltd slip. Here's the Pole Line Road off in the distance from 5,000 ft. elevation:
pic.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had 27 people (including 4 Children), and 3 dogs - a Boston Terrier and two Chihuahuas (Yo Quiero Taco Bell). Here's evidence of trail congestion with 25 people photographed with 2 more behind the camera.

pic.php

Back